High Serotonin Levels

basktbal22

It seems that many pots patients have low serotonin levels. Mine, however, are high (serum around 350-400, normal range up to 220). As a result of these "slightly elevated" levels, a thorough workup for carcinoid syndrome was performed (octreoscan, CT, 5HIAA, etc.)- which was negative with everything except slightly elevated serotonin levels. Anybody else have high serum (blood) serotonin levels? And could Pots be a contributor to this (or vice versa)? Any thoughts are appreciated.

It seems that many pots patients have low serotonin levels. Mine, however, are high (serum around 350-400, normal range up to 220). As a result of these "slightly elevated" levels, a thorough workup for carcinoid syndrome was performed (octreoscan, CT, 5HIAA, etc.)- which was negative with everything except slightly elevated serotonin levels. Anybody else have high serum (blood) serotonin levels? And could Pots be a contributor to this (or vice versa)? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't know that much about it - but there was a post by Rama that I didn't understand, and had asked for clarification - but he illuded to the fact that there are some with high seratonion levels and there is a study being done now in this regard. Maybe some others will chime in that know more about it. Would possibly balanceing with a SSNI - dopamine (Wellbutrin) help?

Just a thought... my mom has had carcinoid syndrome for several decades. Her CT's and octreoscans have been negative until lately (tumors are getting large enough to see). You can actually have elevated blood serotonin levels if you lack the enzyme that metabolizes it properly, so you wouldn't have an elevated 5HIAA in that case. Also, carcinoid tumors don't secrete their hormones continuously but are prompted by stress, certain foods, etc. 5HIAA only captures the serotonin levels during that period. However, a chromogranin A is a blood test that looks at a certain protein released by all types of carcinoid tumors over several days to a week's time. Because of my family history of carcinoid and my similar symptoms with POTS, I get a yearly chromogranin A test. It's now considered the gold standard.

Hopefully, as you said, it's "just" POTS ;)