Problems With Deep Breathing

starby

I've always had difficulty breathing deeply for any period of time. It makes me breathless and my heart starts to race and my chest feels tight. Sometimes I feel faint and need to lie still for a time afterwards.

I've always been told that its' because I'm not used to it and it'll get easier with practice, but it never does.

Then I read that the autonomic function tests may include asking you to breathe deeply. Is this because people with pots have problem with this? I'm wondering as it might explain mine.

I have trouble with this as well and had an abnormal response to Valsalva autonomic testing. A Valsalva manuever or anything (like deep breathing) that increases intrathoracic pressure reduces venous return to the heart. Blood naturally flows from a high pressure gradient to a low pressure gradient.

Yes, valsalva maneuver is part of the test. I got a little light headed while doing it. I do try deep breathing exercises, not everyday and I think it has gotten a lot better as I continue to do it. I'm still only able to do 18-20 breathes, but I'm hoping that will keep increasing with time. I have noticed that I sometimes "forget " how to breathe normally afterwards. I guess I concentrate so much on the deep beathing that it's hard to go back to normal breathing, really weird.

Deep breathing causes you to "blow-off" carbon dioxide. This changes the pH of the blood and can trigger all sorts of symptoms. This is why people having panic-attacks can feel so ill during an attack and feel breathless despite actually over-breathing.

Doing a few slow deep breaths can be helpful but fast deep breathing or prolonged deep breathing should be avoided.

Flop

I also have a trouble with deep breathing and the vasalva maneuver, at times I feel like I can't get a deep breath in. I think the vasalva maneuver is used during TTTing because in normal people ( sorry we're not normal) it should calm down an over sympathic nervous system response. Eitehr way deep breathing or vasalva maneuver just wipes me out, I'm exhausted and need to lay down after.