Insomnia

nmorgen

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced insomnia. Monday night I couldn't sleep at all, and last night I didn't sleep until about 2:00 am. It's weird b/c I usually am so tired that I sleep for 10 -12 hours everynight. I haven't been sleeping well the last 2 weeks, but this is the first time I just haven't been able to sleep at all. Sunday night I slept for 4 hours. I'm just wondering what could be going on.

I have sleep problems almost every night, too. It comes and goes in severity. I think a lot of people here suffer from the same thing, and many folks have sleep apnea. Have you been tested for that yet? Could you be going through perimenopause or have you started a new drug?

Hope you find relief soon!

Nmorgan

I'm sorry to hear about your sleep problems - it can be absolutely agonising to be exhausted, but become totally alert at bedtime and lay awake for long stretches. It makes for a very long night.

I get periods of severe insomnia, but since my early twenties they've mostly coincided with a worsening of my overall symptoms - if my illness is on an even keel, I sleep really well and get no night-time respiratory symptoms. Are you doing anything new right now that might be aggravating your illness eg exercise, medication?

I hope you sort it out soon.

With best wishes

Dianne

I have probably suffered insomnia on and off throughout my life, even as a child. There are three main types, categorized according to delayed onset, restless or poor sleep quality, or waking up too early. I have always had problems falling asleep, which is the most well known version. My father can't stay asleep, so maybe it's in the family.

I've tried everything....no work in the bedroom, camomile tea, hot milk, warm bath, forgetting the day, writing journal, no TV or computer for couple hours before sleep, no caffiene, no sugar, reading a boring book, etc. Everything works a little, but not enough. Best thing some days is Tylenol or Valerium root pulls. Sleep is important for overall health...so it's worth trying solutions until you find something that works for you.