Hr Meds

Tuesday

My cardio has me on a 30 day monitor to check me for POTS. My HR is going way low and way high, like 30-40 resting sometimes and up to 140 when I just stand up and walk around (or more if its hot outside).

I'm on midodrine and they want to put me on a beta blocker again but last time I tried that I hated it!!! Is there anything else they can give you to regulare your heart beats?

I don't know of anything-that's why I'm not on anything.

My normal pulse (I get down to 66) and bp will drop to 70/40 without meds.

It's not safe for me to take anything due to this reason so I am going to have to learn to try to manage it on my own. It kind of ***** I would have much preferred to be able to pop a pill and go on with a normal life.

Even with pills you don't always get a normal life. <_<

I take Toprol XL for tachycardia and it does help some. I can still get high heart rates during exercise and sometimes for no reason at all, but at least it isn't constant. My BP does not drop, so the beta blocker is fine for me. I don't have any side effects from the Toprol. So far it's been the best thing anyone put me on.

Good luck,

Angela

That's exactly how I started out when I was put on the Beta blocker. I take atenolol. It's been helpful for the tachy spells but I think it also causes my BP to drop too low and causes a lot of fatigue. I would rather have that fatigue though than the fatigue of feeling like I ran a mile just by standing up. Good luck. Hope they find something that works for you!!

Brye

I was hospitalized while they were trying to figure out what meds would work so I had 24 hour monitoring to be sure I tolerated the beta blocker. My HR"s went from 30's to 160 when I stood up. That was 2 years ago. I just went today for my loop recorder reading and there were times of HR"S down in the 40's that I was symptomatic (lightheaded) We're still working on that one. May end up with a pacemaker to control the Bradycardia. I've been putting it off hoping I could back off of the atenolol. It's not looking like that's going to happen though. I'm starting Midodrine tomorrow to see if that'll raise my BP enough and maybe even Increase my HR a bit. If that doesn't work I may need a pacemaker.

It's so frustrating not knowing what the best option is. Even with the pacemaker it "might" be helpful. It's good my cardiologist is 3.5 hours away, it gives me quiet time for my pity party before I have to jump back into life again!

Brye

Mayo recommended Florinef and Proproanal (sp) One to raise your BP the other to lower it. Didn't try that. I guess you have to figure out when it's high and when low, and take the meds to correspond to the time. Don't know. Tried the Florinef by itself and it raised my BP too much. Beta Blockers, lowered too much. Right now, not using anything other than natural things.

The midodrine can make your hr lower so you may need to watch that. I am wondering if my cardio is going to recommend a pacemaker, I was hoping to hear there might be something else I can do for it :blink:

Did not know that!! I asked my doctor if it was just to raise my BP and he said something about some ans effect that it may actually speed things up. I'll obviously need to research further. Hope it doesn't slow it down any more though! Maybe that's why I stopped taking it during the last midodrine trial. I couldn't remember the reason.

Thanks for the warning. I've been avoiding the pacemaker like the plague! I'm still hoping for that something else too!! I'll let you know if I find it!!

Brye