Need Some Advise Please

For the past two nights, my 14-yr-old daughter has been unable to sleep. This morning, she informed me that when she lies down, her heart starts racing. She was lying beside me when she told me & asked me to feel of her chest. Her heart rate was fast. I'm not the type of mom who runs to the doctor with every little thing, but this has me frightened. I started fainting at 14, now I have PAF.

Should I take her in for a check-up, or do I wait and see??? I have some great doctors, and given my diagnosis, if she does have some type of dysautonomia, I don't think it would take her years to get a diagnosis. I just really hope and pray she didn't inherit this from me. :P

Please let me know what you would do. Thanks

For the past two nights, my 14-yr-old daughter has been unable to sleep. This morning, she informed me that when she lies down, her heart starts racing. She was lying beside me when she told me & asked me to feel of her chest. Her heart rate was fast. I'm not the type of mom who runs to the doctor with every little thing, but this has me frightened. I started fainting at 14, now I have PAF.

Should I take her in for a check-up, or do I wait and see??? I have some great doctors, and given my diagnosis, if she does have some type of dysautonomia, I don't think it would take her years to get a diagnosis. I just really hope and pray she didn't inherit this from me. :P

Please let me know what you would do. Thanks

I would suggest take her to the doctors. Yet, before that, maybe you can measure her blood pressure, HR and make a record of it. Record her heart rate while standing, sitting and lying down. Also, does your daughter feel better if she is in a sitting position? Hope this will help. . .

I have tried taking her HR & BP with my monitor, but she is very slim, and the cuff won't work on her arm. She hasn't mentioned noticing a difference with sitting/standing. I think she would tell me because she has watched me progress, and I have told her all about dysautonomia.

I may try to find a smaller cuff that would fit my machine before I take her in. Thanks so much for your help. :P

Maybe try measure her HR by hand first. I believe you know where to take the pulse :P My PCP told me to take my pulse from the wrist for 15 seconds and times it by 4. I usually do it twice and average the numbers. At least that'll give you some idea before you find a smaller cuff. My monitor is a wrist BP monitor which works great.

Obviously, getting accurate numbers (standing, sitting, supine) is the key. Blood pressure is certainly important but in this case heart rate is crucial, so as Shan said, do it manually for now. Tracking the numbers for a little while will greatly enhance your ability to make a better educated guess as to what might be going on.

I would be interested to know if she has ever experienced something like this before, even in a somewhat milder form. She might remember that night a week ago when she felt 'weird' going to sleep. All clues count, we of all people understand that.

As a father of two teenage daughters myself, I find the need to remind you that there could be other "things" that could cause the heart to behave abnormally. Not that your little angel has done anything she shouldn't have, just sayin'... you need to investigate and eliminate all possibilities.

I hope she's better and does not have to go through what we do.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with everyone else... take her to the doctor. More than likely it could just be a virus which might be why she isn't sleeping well either, at least my daughter (who is not biological, so no inherited issues) has had times when her heart raced really fast and it was a virus and the start of pneumonia -- but until you have a doctor check it out, you don't want to just assume that's what is going on, especially when her heart rate is being affected.

We went to the county fair last night & she had trouble with the heat. She got really pale, complained about being dizzy & nauseas, and spent part of the time in a cool building where I had to hang out. The symptoms are just too familiar. I'm making her an appointment. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry to say that the heat intolerance symptoms you described from last night are beginning to point to some kind of dysautonomia. She needs to be seen. In the meanwhile try to take and document her vitals on a regular basis (not neurotic, just daily, maybe twice daily at about the same time.) Data and trends are very important, especially at this early stage, if indeed that's what's going on.

Good luck

No doctor would take me seriously until I wore a polar heart monitor and went in to the doctor's office with it on. There wasn't any way they could say nothing was wrong. They immediately started running tests. It still took some time to get my dx, but it if wasn't for my wearing a heart monitor all day and seeing what my heart rate was doing, I still wouldn't have my dx. Hope all goes well and you will get some answers.

Maggie