Blue Urine?????

sue1234

We went out of town overnight and I woke up feeling weak and awful. All I could think of was if I was going to manage from the hotel room to the elevator, down the elevator, and to the vehicle at the front door area. I had my husband bring in my handy-dandy lawn chair that I bring in my vehicle everywhere. If I needed to sit, I could.

So we just got home, and I quickly realized I had forgot to flush the toilet in my house before we left yesterday. It had a blue hue to it all. I asked my husband to come look and tell me if he noticed anything different, and he said there is a blue tint in the commode(I needed another opinion, or I guess I should say, witness!).

Has anyone here ever had blue urine? I doubt it, but just thought I'd ask. I have a few doctors appt.s coming up, so I'll be asking at them.

Sue

It might be a blood condition called porphyria, which is characterised by blue urine. As mentioned by Sunburnt Land, it was featured on a recent episode of Doc Martin (and English TV program that broadcasts here in Australia). It was also central to a movie (I think from the 1990's) called The Madness of King George.

On the other hand, it might just have been something you ate... Something to take up with your doctor.

Let us know how you go!

With best wishes

Dianne

Usually it's caused by food or medication. There is a rare disorder that can cause it too, where your calcium levels get too high. Unless you keep having signs of it, I don't think I'd worry too much. A lot of things can color your urine.

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks for the responses. I am not taking any new medicines and really don't EVER have anything happen to different foods, but pretty much eat my same "safe" foods. And, I have been taking calcium here and there, even though me and calcium do not get along!

I guess I would never have known about this if I hadn't left the urine sitting for 24 hours. I remember about 10-15 years ago, the toilet I used in the middle of the night and left unflushed(just during the night) eventually developed a blue ring around it, even though the urine itself was never blue. I didn't use any colored toilet bowl cleaners, so never understood that. Now, I might be able to link the two. I'm definitely going to ask my doctor this week.

The disorder is porphyria. An easy test is to pee in a clear container and put it in the sun. It was covered on a Medical Mysteries show. The doctor put the patients urine in the sun and it changed colors.

Not saying that you have this condition.

Okay, I am somewhat embarrassed. I thought about the two meds I take everyday, thyroid and xanax, and realized my xanax is BLUE! Not that I can understand how the blue dye would make my urine start out yellow/clear, and THEN 24 hours later turn it blue-ish!

There has been a cup of my urine sitting outside in the sun for most of the afternoon. Good thing we live in the country!

I am still going to mention it to my doctor, as the delay thing is something I don't understand.

Sue,

While nmorgen is on the right track, I believe that porphyria is usually considered a hereditary disease caused by too much heme in the blood, and the condition is also associated with the central nervous system.

There's a good video on the internet showing someone's experiment hanging their son's urine in the sun, and tracking the color changes throughout the day. Normally, the color change is to a port wine/reddish to a brownish/tea-like color. Look up "porphyria" for the disease, and "urine color" on Google to get some good information from Mayo and other sources. It also explains blue/green urine colors.

I think you should still get this checked out, but if you're like me, the more information I have, the better I feel.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Jana