Two Days Of Extreme Heat

I just survived the hottest day I can remember for a while. High humidity, high temperature, and code orange (bad air).

Methods used:

Stayed under an umbrella

Had a fan plugged in and turned towards me (though it was blowing hot air)

Drank continuously - Gatorade....and the most helpful beverage of all COLD COCA COLA I never drink that stuff, but the caffeine in it really helped me.

Squirted myself with water frequently.

Didn't move around much.

I'm so glad I could finally survive something like this. Yesterday, I nearly went into heat exhaustion, but I knew to get into the AC as quickly as possible and to stay there.

I have really been stubborn and pushing myself lately. After years of fear, I've decided I don't care, this is my life, this is it, and I intend to push myself to the utmost...sitting, standing, being outside in the heat, whatever. I know I have my limitations, and sometimes I overstep my bounds (like making myself sick yesterday), but today was another day, and I pushed again.

I can be really stubborn sometimes. I'm not saying this is the way to go for everyone. It's something that has become a big part of me post-POTS......to test my limits...I fail....I do it again. I refuse to let this condition "kill" my spirit.

I've seriously been in the "I'm fighting this thing with everything I have" mode lately. I'm a stubborn mule.

Oh, well. Just thought I'd share.

That is fantastic-thanks for sharing that!

Yesterday I took the kids to the beach for a while.

Today I worked 4 hours-I had an anxiety attack for over an hour-but I made it.

I feel proud of my accomplishments but can't wait to get on something for this anxiety.

I just survived the hottest day I can remember for a while. High humidity, high temperature, and code orange (bad air).

Methods used:

Stayed under an umbrella

Had a fan plugged in and turned towards me (though it was blowing hot air)

Drank continuously - Gatorade....and the most helpful beverage of all COLD COCA COLA I never drink that stuff, but the caffeine in it really helped me.

Squirted myself with water frequently.

Didn't move around much.

I'm so glad I could finally survive something like this. Yesterday, I nearly went into heat exhaustion, but I knew to get into the AC as quickly as possible and to stay there.

I have really been stubborn and pushing myself lately. After years of fear, I've decided I don't care, this is my life, this is it, and I intend to push myself to the utmost...sitting, standing, being outside in the heat, whatever. I know I have my limitations, and sometimes I overstep my bounds (like making myself sick yesterday), but today was another day, and I pushed again.

I can be really stubborn sometimes. I'm not saying this is the way to go for everyone. It's something that has become a big part of me post-POTS......to test my limits...I fail....I do it again. I refuse to let this condition "kill" my spirit.

I've seriously been in the "I'm fighting this thing with everything I have" mode lately. I'm a stubborn mule.

Oh, well. Just thought I'd share.

You go girl!!! We have the same philosophy :P I, too, push myself to my outer limits and they EXPAND. I'm proud of you- keep it smart.

Julie

Mack's Mom,

I think you are the one who mentions MCAD on this forum, right? If you are the one, just thought you would be interested in the fact that I am on hydroxyzine HCL 50 mg/PM, 1/2 of a xyzal(anti-histamine) in the AM, and a singulair, 10 mg in the afternoon. I also take a nexium before dinner and a tagamet before bed.

There's several other things I've done, all added over a period of time, but maybe, for me, a piece of the "POTS puzzle" has been the H1, H2 blockers?

Oh, yeah, I also get allergy shots once every two weeks.

When I'm really wired but tired before bed, I'll pop an expired 5 mg pill of clonazepam (klonopin). I think this pill really helps a lot, unless I take it every day. I try to limit this medication to no more than twice/week since it works best if I do not become acclimated. It's also helpful for my restless leg syndrome. It seems to balance out my nervous system, to some extent.

Hey FH-

So happy the H-1's and H-2's, etc. are helping you too. Sounds like you have some traditional allergies (maybe?) along with MCAD symptoms. Regardless, all ANS docs agree that treating allergies & allergy symptoms are an important part of controlling autonomic issues.

That's a hefty does of hydroxizine (I take 1/2 that), but I know MCAD folks who take MUCH more than you do- whatever controls symptoms with the least side effects. Sounds like the atarx doesn't make you sleepy? Me neither.... and it's supposed to :P .

Keep pushing your limits in a smart way. We are of a similar age & I think there gets to a point where we get tired of limitations. Every time I push them, they truly expand. I find out how much more I am capable of...

Julie

Well, re: the hydroxyzine HCL, I do experience side effects. It's probably making me too dry and probably making me a bit tired. The sleepiness wore off after a while. I'm scared to go back down to 25 mg/day, because if I do, my IC may start acting up and I do not want that.

Well, re: the hydroxyzine HCL, I do experience side effects. It's probably making me too dry and probably making me a bit tired. The sleepiness wore off after a while. I'm scared to go back down to 25 mg/day, because if I do, my IC may start acting up and I do not want that.

I hear you regarding the IC. Mine's basically in remission. I still get that awful feeling of having to go & nothing there at times....but so much better than it was. So happy the atarax helps with that too. Yes, the bladder is lined with mast cells so it makes sense.

Sorry about the fatigue. Ironically caffeine used to be one of my triggers. Now that I'm on the antihistamines, I can tolerate it & depend on a big cup every AM just to get going.

So happy to hear you're doing better. I LOVE your philosophy of pushing yourself. When we succeed, it's so empowering!

Julie

I hear all the time how active people were before "this" hit them, I think thats why we see so many great attitudes also. Julie I'm like you, I'm never giving up, ever......I love to hear about how everyone is fighting back in their own way. Good luck in the future, and also how is Mack doing? Last I remember you were saying he was pushing things also and doing well with it.

I hear all the time how active people were before "this" hit them, I think thats why we see so many great attitudes also. Julie I'm like you, I'm never giving up, ever......I love to hear about how everyone is fighting back in their own way. Good luck in the future, and also how is Mack doing? Last I remember you were saying he was pushing things also and doing well with it.

Yay, Todm1960!!!! I love to hear you're battling back, too. Mack basically claims he's not sick. He quietly takes about 15 pills a day and goes about his business. He crashes when he has to & pushes when he can. He doesn't let his illness define him- says, "that's just how I am." He's doing an internship via UGA and working at a major recording studio this summer. Very cool ;) .

Hugs-

Julie