Summer Survival

Brye

One month until my kids are out of school! I'm starting to feel the panic set in! I would love to hear some of your summer secrets when it comes to keeping kids entertained. I know there are other parents in this situation. I'm looking forward to spending more time with them but I want it to be fun and not torture for us all. Parks are difficult for us due to the heat and my difficulty keeping up with my toddlers. Any suggestions are appreciated. My kids are 7,6,3, and 2.

Some of our favorites:

Play dates with friends.

Water fights in the yard. (I can supervise these from the shaded porch)

Bubbles/sidewalk art.

Board games.

That'll get us through the 1st week!! HELP!! I'm getting desperate! I've even condsidered buying a Wii system or hiring a nanny!! If only we could live without a budget!

Thanks!!

Brye

Brye,

I would definitely get the Wii! It can be hours of fun if you're kids are into it! I invested in the Blockbuster's offer of a pass type deal for like $20 a month. I can have one game or one movie checked out for as long or little as I want. So if we rent a game and they dont like it we just take it back and get another. I have 2 boys so they love the video games! They are much older but I can appreciate you're situation with the younger ones at home. Hope you find some great ideas!

KC

Brye,

Do you know a reliable high school or older middle school girl who could babysit part-time? Many of my daughter's friends have part-time babysitting jobs and those girls would have the energy to take your kids to the park and wear them out good! That would be cheaper than a nanny if you can find a trustworthy teen.

Does your school offer summer school? I know that just sounds like you're trying to get rid of your kids but our school only runs in for June and then a few weeks in August.

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Brenda

Our Library has free summer activities. Last year they took art lessons. I also send my children to vacation Bible school. My children fight if the have too much unstructured time together.

Have you looked into your local Y? We don't go but a lot of friends do.

Due to my being sick so much every room in our house needs to be re-organized and cleaned. I have already told my children that they are going to help me organize every room top to bottom - one room a week (groan)! I have to have them do some chores. The 2 and 3 year olds can dust baseboards. I make a game out of it.

I also had outdoor toys in our house when mine were little - I was sick all of the time and didn't know why. When it was too hot for me to be outside they could run like crazy inside.- In the basement.

If you get the wii the outdoor challenge is a fun game that will burn up some energy.

Have you thought of letting the older ones ( or all 4) have a little garden? It can keep them busy if they have to weed a little.

I also had an art kitchen cabinet when my children were younger. They were able to use things in the cabinet without asking but they had to spread a plastic tablecloth on the kitchen floor ( easy clean up) this worked really well for playdough which can make a huge mess.

I used to let my children when they were 3 and 4 put on swimsuits and play in my tub while I lay down--- I had a big tub and I let them take in lots of toys and kept the water cool.

Sorry to say they also watched a lot of movies - but at 9 and 11 now I realize it did not hurt them a bit. Hard job for you having 4 and a spread in ages. I know things have gotten better and better for me as they have gotten older.

One final thing- I let them makes tents in the house and my husband will put a real tent up in the yard... they still think this is great fun.

Hope something helps.

Hi Brye,

I understand the difficulties. I use the Disney channel and DVDs much more than I would like to, but sometimes it's a matter of survival! At least watching a movie is something we can do together (or something William can do while I take a nap!).

Here are some other ideas:

Puzzles

Coloring

Play dates in the backyard with a friend who is willing and able to help you with your children

A baby pool in the backyard

Play-doh

Books (a summer reading program at a local library may make this more fun for your 6 and 7 year olds.)

Rest time/nap time (sometimes I have to make my son go play quietly in his room, but he usually ends up enjoying the quiet time to himself.)

And I am now completely out of ideas. Can you tell we don't do much around here?!

Rachel

Thanks so much for all your responses!! What great suggestions!!!! Wii games at blockbuster ... that would save money in the long run! Who know? Love the ideas! No summer school option here but I've already begun the recruiting process for the neighbor girl! Great library here ... my toddler could probably do some serious damage in a matter of minutes there though. No local Y here but boys and girls club! My husband has pool duty when he gets home from work. We have the family membership. We have a garden my husband oversees their part ... he could make an assignment before he leaves for work.

Tents, playdough, cleaning, art, puzzles! Bring it on! I always start to panic this time of year but then once summer vacation arrives it's here and gone before we know it. Thanks so much for all the great tips!! Love you all!!

Brye