Sleep

lavender

Well, I had my baby last week! She?s perfect and so precious. wish you could all stop in a see her!

I have a lot of trouble sleeping due to POTS?I think. Now with my baby to feed at night it?s been extra ROUGH. I?m going to go talk to my doctor about it but he?s new to POTS. So if any of you have some ideas for me of things that help you that I could talk to him about, that would be helpful.

I have trouble falling asleep. Usually takes me at least an hour. Then I have trouble staying asleep. If I over do it during the day or am feeling extra POTSy then my fast heart rate makes it impossible to unwind and sleep. Feels like too much adrenalin and my mind races too. The less sleep I get the more POTSy I am the next day?.

I take amitriptyline for sleep. I guess it helps some, but not much. I also have ambien that is safe for nursing but I only like to take it when I?m desperate.

What has helped you guys? Is there anything I can take or do that would relax my POTSy body and help me fall asleep or stay asleep? Last night Baby did great. She slept for 3 to 4 hour stretches but I was still awake most of the night. So frustrating.

Well, I had my baby last week! She?s perfect and so precious. wish you could all stop in a see her!

What has helped you guys? Is there anything I can take or do that would relax my POTSy body and help me fall asleep or stay asleep? Last night Baby did great. She slept for 3 to 4 hour stretches but I was still awake most of the night. So frustrating.

Oh congratulations on your new daughter

My own personal experience and not necessarily recommended by medical professions is co-sleeping.. I could not sleep without the baby in the crook of my arm. I know you've tried the easy ones like warm milk and deep breathing.

Wishing you peaceful slumber and joyful days with your new bundle of joy

I have similar sleep issues to yours, but without the baby. I take Klonopin and Trazodone that both help me get to sleep and stay asleep. The Klonopin is a life-saver, and I know several others here take it too. Xanax is also helpful for short-time use to relax you and get you to sleep, but it's not long-lasting. Also, a Benadryl tablet or two can make me drowsy. I currently take .75 mg Klonopin.

Hope this helps!

Jana

The best advice I ever got was to sleep when the baby sleeps. It is the only way you'll get enough with a newborn. Get help if this one isn't your first. Heck, get help even if this is your first! I had a basinett next to my bed for 6 weeks when my first was born. That way the baby was there, but not in bed with me. Nursing will complicate things since any drug you take will pass into your milk. Good luck and enjoy your little one if you can!

The post on lemon balm tincture tweaked my memory. I was working with a midwife at the time and she recommended Motherwort which I got in tincture form. Ten drops in a glass of water reduces anxiety and helps you relax. As an added benefit, it helps the uterus regain its natural size.

this particular one is safe when nursing. the grant I was working on at the time was Improving the Incidence and Duration of Breastfeeding. The midwife was hired by ACOG.

Congratulations, Lavender!

Sleep....that's always a tough one, especially with a new baby.

Usually I take melatonin, but you can't take that while nursing. I took 12.5 mg of Doxylamine Succinate (generic name for Unisom) while nursing Adelaide, and I still take it as needed. It helps me to fall asleep and stay asleep. It actually works better than melatonin for me, but it does make me a little groggier than normal in the morning.

I also had help with nighttime feedings. Will always did at least half of the night time feedings. Once we reached the 4 or 5 week mark Will had to take over all of the night time feedings and morning feedings. That allowed me to get the sleep that I needed.

I hope you can get some sleep soon. Enjoy that precious baby!

Rachel