High Gliadin Iga In Old Labs...

wareagle

Hello friends. I'm going through all of my initial workups from 7 years ago...trying to find out if we've missed anything.

Here's some background: I've ALWAYS had energy problems. Since I was a child I've needed more sleep than other people and I've never had a ton of energy. Then around the time I developed POTS I also discovered a B12 deficiency and started getting a re-occuring hive on my wrist. I'm pretty sure it was a case of EBV that set off the autonomic problems but I'm trying to figure out what was going on BEFORE the POTs. I had bad allergies when I was younger too. I recently started thinking I should look into the allergy issue further and possibly do a sleep study.

So, I'm going through my labs from Mayo in 2003 and came across this result:

Gliadin IgA 32 (High)

Gliadin IgG Normal

No one every said anything about this. I tried looking it up online and just keep getting directed to Gluten problems. But I didn't think this was the test for Celiac. I think my doc did test me for Celiac at one point and it was negative.

Any input would be appriciated.

OH...also strange....on my radiology reports it notes that I have lumberization of S1 and Azygos fissure! Guess I just wasn't put together right!! :P

There's another test for Celiac Disease that you might want to discuss with your doctor. It's the tTG (tissue transglutaminase) test. I was positive on this but not on the ones you have so they have me on a GF diet for three months.

From what I understand, you have to still be eating Gluten to make this test accurate.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interp...ults/Page1.html

"In celiac disease, the body produces two types of antibodies that attack tTG: immunoglobulin A (IgA) and immunoglobulin G (IgG). Measuring the IgA form of tTG antibody in the blood is more useful in detecting celiac disease because it's made in the small intestine, where gluten causes inflammation and irritation in sensitive people.

Levels of the IgG form of tTG antibody, on the other hand, are less specific to celiac disease, but may still be useful in diagnosing the condition in people who are unable to make normal amounts of IgA antibodies."

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/medical/test_ttg.html

Hope this helps a bit. I'm still figuring things out myself and may have to get a biopsy this summer. :blink:

Thanks for the help ladies!

I'm going to ask my doc if we should do another round of Gluten testing. I was just trying to figure out if the Gliadin IgA results from 7 years ago could have meant something other than a gluten sensativity. I think I've had the tTg before and it was negative. I'll just get it checked again too.

You're right this is all very confusing!