When To Go To The Hospital?

Nikki

Today is a bad day for me..My dizziness is really bad, and it got me thinking. What is enough to make someone with POTS go to the hospital? I've had really bad days before, and I always just wait them out and eventually it gets a little better. The only time I went to the ER was before I was diagnosed. I felt horrible, was super dizzy..and I couldn't eat anything for a few days. They saw my blood pressure and heart rate was all over the place, gave me fluids (even though they said I wasn't dehydrated) and told me to rest and 'try not to fall'. They knew I had the tilt table coming up, so maybe they were just thinking that doctor could deal with me in a week or two.

After I was diagnosed, there was a point when my blood pressure would spike in the 140/120 ranges, and the nurses at the office of the cardiologist I go to said if it were to stay that way for an hour, or a few hours then go over the hospital. It doesn't really seem like any symptoms are a major concern for people..and I'm just wondering, if you go to the ER..What can they do to help you besides give you fluids? Is there anything?

Even though I've seen tons and tons of doctors over the years, I try to avoid going to them unless I really have to..I feel the same about hospitals, if not stronger lol. Unless I faint (which has never happened so far, thankfully) or my heart feels like it's going crazy, I probably wouldn't go..

I guess my question is..when do you think it's time to get things checked out when you already know what's wrong?

I think many of us have made un-needed trips to the ER (particularly prior to a diagnosis). I am not aware of any situations in which POTS itself would require emergency treatment. However, the problem is that our symptoms if severe can sometimes mimic serious problems (heart attack, stroke, etc.) and you certainly do not want to ignore symptoms that could be indicators of something needing urgent care.

I think a good rule of thumb is to contact your doctor if you develop symptoms that are new for you. As far as high bp, I would also ask my doctor under what conditions an ER trip is warranted.

Definitely IV fluids make many of us feel better. You probably don't need to go to the ER for this however--if it is something your dr orders for you, you could get it administered without the hassle of dealing with the ER.

Sorry you are having a bad day!

Like yourself, before I figured out I had POTS I went to two emergency rooms and many doctors. At this point you and I probably know a great deal more about our medical conditions than most doctors in the ER, so unless I'm suffering from a new or more severe symptom than normal (my new POTS normal) I'd avoid going back.

Only your doctor can tell you what your personal 'dangerous' low or high blood pressure or heart rates are.

I hope you feel better.