Pots And Job Interviews - Looking For Tips/techniques

I finally have some in-person job interviews coming up. As you guys know, add some stress and excitement to POTS and you can be more symptomatic and sometimes for me that means brain fog!

I'm sure there are people with various disabilities out there interviewing in this market so I try to remind myself of that. No one is 'perfect' and I will do the best I can. It is like I have a mantra. But sometimes you DO feel alone.

The upcoming interview is very important because it sounds like a job I can handle and in this market, those are few and far between!

Are there any tips you can share of getting through hours of interviews? Is it 'OK' to have a G2 with me instead of water? How can I tactfully ask for a restroom break between meeting with people? What do you guys do to combat brain fog (I am usually OK - of course I have my brain fog days - but is there something I can do to help NOT have it that very important day)? I will take notes with me and have things prepared in advance (always a good idea anyway).

Please send good vibes! :)

I don't think I have any real tips but just remember to breath and relax the best you can ;)

I think it would be okay to ask for a bathroom break and taking your G2 I think would be fine as well :)

It sounds like you are well prepared...I am sure you will do great!!!

Good luck .... and sending positive vibes your way!!

Try and get a good nights sleep (which I know is hard, especially when you are anxious about the next day). I don't know how caffiene effects you, but I find that if I drink a little bit that it helps combat brain fog (not too much or you will be jittery). Don't forget to eat something before you go. The frosted mini wheat minis are supposed to keep you full and focused ;)

Good luck!

Caffeine helps me in the morning, so I will have to have some of that. And yes, sometimes I don't like to eat breakfast but I will. I know I should!

I don't believe, per the ADA, you have to disclose a disability. They list job requirements and you have to be able to perform those (this has no lifting, etc.). I even think you are allowed to perform a job with reasonable accommodation, per the ADA. Anyone have more information on that?

I would think there have to be a lot of people out there working with various medical issues and it is a personal matter?

Cat_Lady,

I found this and thought it might help:

NY Times article on Work and Chronic Illness

I don't know if we are covered under the Disabilities act since "all this" is so new, but a few letters from your docs may do it, especially if they state that you are quite capable of working under the right circumstances and what you need to function. Good Luck!

(((((((hug)))))))))

Thank you, Firewatcher!

This is helpful "Although your illness may be episodic or controlled by medications, it is still a disability, according to a recent amendment to the law. "

I do hope I'm able to function and from what I've been told, it seems like something I am capable of handling. I just know it is good to be prepared for the what-ifs because things do change!

I know about FMLA, too, but that's after 12 months. That is the hurdle. It's a 'nice to know it's there' if you need it...and I know I could use it for my occasional appointments without having to use all my vacation time (which in the US is minimal in general!). Even if you won't need it, knowing you could use it and be projected is a comfort. I know that sounds weird. But somehow it makes things more bearable for me.