Social Security Disability Insurance

Simmy

I am applying for social security disability insurance for the first time, after becoming unable to work since I first became ill in July of 2008 and being diagnosed with POTS early in 2009. I've already prepared all of my documents, have copies of all of my medical records and started the process by speaking with a representative and then completing the online forms.

I have an interview scheduled with Social Security this coming Friday. My question is, does the interviewer make any decisions, or have any input toward my eligibility, or is their role only to gather information to pass on to superiors? In other words, if I come to my interview wearing my heart rate monitor watch with chest strap and show him/her how my heart rate jumps from 70bpm sitting to 120+ standing, will that help my case, or should I just save that for their doctor to whom they will inevitably send me?

I did a phone interview because I was too sick to go in to their office. I don't think the interviewer had anything to do with the decision. I think I was an automatic rejection. I got a letter saying I could work and gave an example of working in a business answering phones even though I was bed bound at the time and could barely walk to the bathroom.

They sent me some forms to have family and friends fill out and I got the rejection before I had time to even give them to anyone.

Keep appealing if you get rejected and don't feel bad if you get rejected, most people do.

Interviewer at mine was strictly gathering information. They seemed to encourage doing the whole thing on line. I did the interview option because I had a questionaire my doctor filled out I wanted to submit and wasn't sure if that was an option via computer. I didn't ever end up seeing another doctor other than my own either.

Good luck!!

Rebecca

Interviewer at mine was strictly gathering information. They seemed to encourage doing the whole thing on line. I did the interview option because I had a questionaire my doctor filled out I wanted to submit and wasn't sure if that was an option via computer. I didn't ever end up seeing another doctor other than my own either.

Good luck!!

Rebecca

After my cardiologist put me on permanent driving restrictions because I pass out even after heart surgery & implanting a pacemaker/icd, I filed for SSDI about 2 mths ago. I have malignant heart problems, ANS problems, AI problems; possible diabetes, depression, neuropathy and OSA. I had to prove each thing I have is debilitating to the point I can't work and when I do feel like working, I have to have help.

From my understanding, your strongest case is going to come from your personal doctors, so get them to fill out forms for you for everything you have, this will help your case greatly. I still owe my pcp money and he refused to fill out forms for my depression, so they are sending me for an evaluation to one of their doctors of choice - which delays my case until I finish that eval. :lol:

I got the link from here on the info section for The Disability Benefits Information Website - there's a section for help with forms and there's a link for a pdf form to fill out from your dr but I can't find it right now :o maybe someone else will know what I'm talking about?

A tip I did receive was - they will base your case on what their medical team "thinks" a person with your condition can or cannot do, but if your personal physican says you can't or shouldn't do something, they tend to go with that since that dr has treated you, so get a good clear explanation from your dr as why you can or can't do certain things.

another thing was this - if you have to lay down to rest frequently to relieve your symptoms they strongly consider this as a factor because employers won't typically let you rest during the working day

I've gotten some names of disability lawyers already just in case; I've heard some great things about a company called Allsup and by law disability lawyers can only charge a certain amount and have a cap on their fees, so that may be worth looking into if you are or have been denied benefits.

Thank guys. Sounds like the interviewer just collects information and has no part in the determination.

I did a search for that Medical Source Statement and came up with this link:

http://socialsecuritystrategy.com/?page_id=265

I copied it, eliminated some junk on the top of the form (I couldn't find the original source of the document), printed it out and just came back from my PotsDoc with it completed by him. Gotta love a doctor who'll sit down and do this with one of his patients without an appointment. Although I have copies of all of my medical records, including the diagnosis, this form seems quite necessary and I'm surprised no one from the Social Security office advised me to have my doctor complete one on my behalf.

Thanks Dinet and thanks lmt.