Irregular Heartbeat

gertie

What do you do for irregular HB? Mine has been beating irregularly for 2 or 3 days now almost constantly. I don't notice it so much when I'm sitting or laying down but when I'm moving around it's very disturbing I can feel it beating. I thought it was caused from taking flax oil but that was 2 days ago. I've been to cardiologist over the years for this & by the time I go it's always normal. He thinks it's caused by allergies. Thanks.

Hi Alicia,

I have POTS as well as atrial tachycardia, atrial fibrillation and SVT. Mine is controlled to the point that the arrythmias happen in bursts and are not sustained for days. My cardiologist would not allow it to continue for two or three days as yours has...although atrial arrythmias are "benign" for the most part (although they make us feel horrible), if they are allowed to continue they can cause stroke. I'm not saying that's what you have going on or that you even have these types of arrythmias but it seems like it would be a good idea to get this checked out. It could be you are having large numbers of PVCs or PACs which also are "benign" but feel awful. Has your Dr. ever put you on a monitor? Not just for 24 hours but for a couple weeks or a month to really get a feel for what's going on? If this is something new for you and your heart has been irregular for this long, I would either go to the ER where they can do an EKG to document it and make sure all is well or call the Dr. and let him/her know. I can relate to how lousy it makes you feel....hope you can get this checked out and get some answers. Until you know for sure what is going on, you don't want to mess with it.

There's a chance that an urgent care or ER could throw an EKG on you right away and catch something. Then they can make quick determination as to urgency but more importantly, have record for followup analysis (in context of whole circumstance & symptoms) by a cardio. That's what happened to me with a "sinus bradycardia" caught in ER... the record can be forwarded even if it's not found to be urgent.

It is safest and standard recommendation to go to urgent clinic/ER with heart symptoms (baring some former diagnosis and advice from an expert) so I wouldn't feel bad as though you are inconveniencing them. I understand the worry about fleeting symptoms and how they always disappear when given scrutiny, but it should be worth a shot. I'm assuming urgent care places have EKG on hand but maybe a call ahead can clarify that so you don't waste time with one... but if you're feeling sheepish (which I'd advise you not to :) they are a intended for non-triage situations.

Maybe "excitement" of going to such a place, or activity itself like getting there, ends up driving the arrythmia away... which could even be a subtle clue about it in the right hands. Probably a cardio should give you an extended "event" monitor if things don't happen to show "on demand". It's intended for cases like that where the trouble is fleeting.

Note that an ER might not "want to hear" about the full history, they're actually supposed to focus on just certain things, but one of those things is making sure what is going on is not urgent or catching it if it is, and visiting them is entirely appropriate. Just be ready for them to be quick to refer to primary or cardio either way... that's their legitimate focus, but don't take it as a slight.

It's a great idea-it can give you peace of mind if nothing else.

I had an extra pathway in my heart called AVNRT I guess 80% of women have this.

So my heart was both slowing down and speeding up.

I've always been reassured that none of this was life threatening just feels bad but it's best to get it checked out and make sure. With the heart monitor they will let you know if you need to get medical assistance so it gives you peace of mind.

I can tell you some of what I have felt wasn't as bad as I feared? And sometimes when I was feeling things nothing showed up at all. So I do hope you are okay.

lieze