Doc Said "don't Overdo It."

futurehope

I need your input here. If I listened to my doc and only did a bit of exercise and worked my way up, I would do nothing. I have very little energy and can only do very little. So, I push myself. (My doctor is Indian and thinks "pushing yourself" is an American concept.)

Honestly, if I hadn't pushed myself in the last 30 years of my life, I'd have nothing that I have now, because I was always tired.

How can I not "push myself", if getting out of bed is difficult (because of low pulse pressure), and everything else wears me out? So, I push myself. I either do that, or stop moving all together. Comments?

Maybe your dr doesn't understand how POTS is affecting you. I think most doctors don't. However, that is interesting b/c my dr says I should push myself. It's hard when you literally have 5 min (or less) to talk to a dr to talk through something so complicated as "don't push yourself"--especially in our context.

When I was really sick my dr's nurse told me I should start doing low impact aerobics 3X a week. Huh? There was no way.

I know I do truly over-do it at times and get a relapse b/c of it and I have a hard time knowing where that threshold is.

Katherine

Ok... I'm a pusher. I don't want to miss out on life altogether.

I am trying to exercise every day now that I am on meds. I ride my bike for 30 min... and then I have to take a nap. My legs are getting stronger. I have to force myself to get on the thing and then I use a combination of music, book, and tv to distract myself from the pain. It is helping though b/c my legs are stronger.

When I am in a big flare I spend most of my time in bed.

This is my deal though. If I start to do something and I really feel off (or my hr monitor goes above 150 - I am on a beta blocker and at rest my hr is about 50-60). I stop. I don't let myself feel bad for listening to my body.

What is bugging me is that for my 34th birthday my husband bought me an eliptical. I love it. I hate it. Every once in a while I get on it b/c it is so much fun. I can't even stay on it for 10 min. Someday I will get rid of it. I know that pushing myself upright is just stupid.

I am also getting tired of taking baths. I got in the shower today...started to feel "off" got out and got into the tub instead.

I don't know if you can relate... I try to do as much as I can without being stubborn. I am cutting myself some slack and have learned when to quit. I also have embraced the nap! I am doing better now on medication and having been diagnosed I have learned some things that help keep me from crashing.

If I didn't push myself to MY limits (the sane limits) I would get weaker and spend more time in bed. It is silly hard for me to even lift my 5 lbs weights. I can do more than I could 6 months ago and I am happy for that.

Mayo Neuro told me that most likely I will have this for the rest of my life. I gave away my tennis things and avoid stairs... But I am learning to do some yoga poses and pretending that I am not sad.

Sorry for the rant... I just think you should do what you want ( within reason) because you know yourself best! Even with POTS our bodies were created to move. Best to you!

Kayjay you summed it up for me!!

Love/Hate relationship with my elliptical, embraced the nap, love the shower but couldn't do it without my chair.

My work outs have helped some with my endurance I think but worsened my fatigue overall. I'm not as winded when I walk, feel stronger, I can walk faster and bike further. I've given up on my soccer team return and these days I am just thankful to be upright.

I'm frustrated yet thankful all at the same time!!

Brye

I push myself, probably too much. But I'm stubborn. I saw an amusing post elsewhere once...and older Irish woman. She commented how she was often so worn out/dizzy but kept going (no one knew what people had years ago, as many of you know!) and she's 'still alive.' I somewhat feel like that. Still kicking.

I even take the stairs sometimes, even though it makes my HR go up. As long as it goes down quickly I know it's 'just POTS.' I'm too deconditioned now, though, and need to start working out. I know it's going to be awful. And the pain I get is awful (in my muscles/body aches).

I'm worried there's something else going on and I might be worse someday (although I hope not!) so I do as much as I can now without fainting. I asked my old EP outright if it was really bad to be like this. He seems more along the lines it was up to the individual and I'd know my 'limit'...and I guess if this takes a few years off the 'end' what can I do. I need to try to live now. At least that's how I look at it.

But, overall, most doctors I've talked to think at least the minimum exercise I can tolerate is good. And keeping active. And doing things. Mentally and physically. It's a balance.