CEFTIN AGAIN!

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

WOW--------now the Docs office calls me and said my lung x-ray shows I have bronchitis. But this was one week after completing the antibiotics ceftin????

I was on 250mg twice a day. But my cough was better. I had NO cold ---just a weird dry cough. I thought it might be because of the cervical stenosis which could make it hard to breathe sometimes----but the Doc wanted to put me on antibiotics just in case. Five days after I called the office to see if they still wanted me to take the lung x-ray he gave me a prescription for since I was not coughing any more. I told them I was in the same medical complex where the hospital (St. Luke's) was. They said I should take the x-ray.

I just find it odd that bronchitis would show up after taking the antibiotics. I thought I was fine. Apparently not. On Friday I developed a bad cold which is moving to my chest----on top of the bronchitis I didn't know I had.

This dose of ceftin was doubled to 500mg twice a day, for two weeks, instead of the one week dose, 250mg twice a day. Isn't that a lot?

Julie :0)

Julia, I don't think it's all that odd to still have bronchitis. First, there are many antibiotic resistant organisms out there... and second, the bug you've had may not have been all that sensitive to Ceftin. I'm wondering why they put you back on the same thing? Hmmm. Anyway, it's not that odd.

I still had pneumonia after 2 weeks on antibiotics. For me, having asthma increased my recovery time--the tightness held onto stuff in my chest for a while.

Nina

Hi Julia. My experience is that 1 round of antibiotics is often not enough to get rid of an infection....mine is usually a sinus infection. I used to take Ceftin also but it causes GI problems for me even at the 250mg level. I hope that you will do OK on the much higher dose. 2 weeks at that high a dose is a lot but should get rid of your bronchitis completely. ALso, think of it this way, it should protect you from some of the bacterial bugs that go around this time of year. Take care.

Julie,

Apparently 500 mg is a typical dose of Ceftin. I've taken both 250 and 500 mg for sinus infections. So if you can tolerate Ceftin you should do OK on the 500 mg.

For some reason I don't do well on it anymore.

Hope this second round does the trick for you.

GayleP

Guest Julia59

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Maybe he put me back on the same thing because I could tolerate it----so he just put me on a higher dose of it to see if it does the trick. Double the dose---for double the time. Apparently I have some infection that was in my system even before I got this cold over the weekend.

The weird thing is that I didn't notice the bronchitis. I know how I usually am when I have that. My chest is usually tight and it always comes following a cold if I get it. I just had a weird cough like I couldn't get my breath---and I would get a sort of forced cough. It seemed to have cleared up------but apparently my x-ray showed different even though I didn't feel bad.

This cold I got over the weekend is really a bad one---so I guess it's for the best to go back on an antibiotic, but at a higher dose, and hopefully it will lick the infection in my body. My doctor is a sweet guy---and I think he's not real familiar with ANS dysfunction so he's being cautious by keeping me on something he knows I can tolerate----atleast I hope so on this higher dose.

Julie :0)