My Son Is Newly Diagnosed

lizzyp

Hello Everyone,

I look on here for help and you guys are always here for me whether it is reading old posts to find answers or post new ones to get new answers. I wanted to tell you about a positive experience with a Pediatric Electrophysiologist in Houston. My son (13) started having symptoms around the beginning of January and I felt like I was 99% sure he had POTS by his symptoms. I have had it myself for almost 2 years now. I found Dr. Numan at Memorial Herman in the Houston Medical Center that was able to get him in less than a week from the day I called. Now, that was thru begging the very sweet nurse and telling her my son's symptoms. Dr. Numan is very familiar with POTS and treats many children and teens. During the first visit, they did an EKG and an Echo and we talked about the results. Then, he scheduled the Tilt Table Test for a few weeks away. My son had the TT Test this past Friday and we met with the Dr. right afterwards for the results. He started Florinef this past Saturday and we are crossing our fingers that it helps him. I know how hard it can be to find a good Dr. especially when it comes to our children.

Hi Lizzy-

That was right around the age that my son became very sick too. Florinef, salt & increased fluids were a godsend for him. He's 17 y/o now and able to attend school full-time, but he's still pretty severely affected. His doc guesses that Mack functions at around 60% of "normal." He takes many meds & considers it routine by now. As college looms, we worry....

Welcome. Let us know how your son progresses!

Julie

Hi Lizzy!

My daughter was diagonsed at age 10 with POTS. She is now 13 and still very debilitated but has improved in the past year. Sounds like you have a good doctor and you are very fortunate to have found a doctor so quickly that knows about POTS.

I would be happy to help you out if you have any questions or just want to talk. I know you have POTS but it can be a very different story for adolescents and males compared to females. I don't pretend to be an expert but we have been thru plenty and I would be happy to help out. I was and I still am very grateful for all of the help and support that I've received from this forum and others like it.

Take care and God bless!

Brenda