Job Hunting - Interviews: How Do I Bring Up My Needs?

iheartcats

I am job hunting now and hope I can handle it. I've talked to my doctors and, while I'd prefer part-time, I need more money than that right now and there aren't many part-time jobs now. I think when the economy improves, more people will leave part-time for full-time, but now I'm seeing very few.

So I already now working eats a lot of my energy. I'm sad I have to give up other things, but I know I've no big choice right now.

My last position I did not have to travel....I knew I couldn't handle it. The economy was better then and I was able to get a job where I knew there was no travel. Many places list if there is travel, so I don't go after those. But at what point do I bring up if there is any required travel? And that I don't really consider travel a perk and would rather 'hold down the fort' and can't really handle work travel?

Also, my doctors don't want me doing the 50-60 hours a week work that many people get dumped on them. I don't, and I just can't. My last job knew I worked the 9-5 schedule and if I really had something pressing I'd work on it at home in the evening where I can be comfortable. I can't work late hours anymore.

My field is online marketing, so most of my work is accessible anywhere with an Internet connection and computer.

My other needs are occasional medical visits. I know when you are offered a job, you can tell them I need these days off (unpaid or whatever) as I already have appointments/plans that can't be changed. Usually places are OK with that. But what about other visits? You don't get protected for a year with FMLA, but I know there is the ADA too.

I don't want to take a job and burn out and have to leave because my needs weren't discussed up front. I want to be reasonable...I know I can 'do my work' but this economy makes it harder, I think, if you are a little 'abnormal' (I don't know how to phrase it, but I think you guys know what I mean). I have a good track record, references, etc. I just need places to be a little flexible so I can stay healthy as I can.

Thanks in advance, guys!

God, I am in the same position as you and encountering exactly the same difficulties.

My area is television and journalism and I'm trying to move into the area of PR and Marketing. I have been off work sick now for over 9 months, but financial needs dictate that I now must go back to work.

One thing that I did recently was to write to the highest CEO of a good company I know and tell them the absolute truth. I explained what POTS was, what symptoms I get, what I can and can't do. I told them I was passionate about the area, would work long hours for them (but on my terms) and what my preferences were. I also said I would be prepared to sacrifice perks of the job like a "top" salary, just to get a steady wage and to be given the opportunity to create a work/POTS balance.

Surpringly, she replied to me and the email started: "I greatly admire your determination to continue your career and I'm very moved by your story. Shall we meet up at a place that is good for you and discuss what the options are?"

I was flabberghasted, but so relieved that I could tell the truth and not be rejected.

Why don't you try it?

As a hiring Manager, I have the following advice: (I am assuming you are located in the US)

The only question they are allowed to ask is if you can perform the duties of this job with or without accomodation. If you answer yes, it means that you are still entitled to accomodation and eligible for the position. Positions that include labor must list the physical requirements in the job listing. Pay special attention to those.

I would apply, answer that question with a yes or no, interview as you normally would and accept the position if you are interested in it. I would not create extra steps or anything that suggests that you are dramatic. They are not allowed to ask you your illness history etc. I understand your anxiety, but employers handle accomodations much easier than you can imagine. What they really watch for, and makes them feel on guard, is if an employee shows signs that they are dramatic about things, easily offended, complainers, hard to train, or basically crazy. If I got a letter from a candidate about an illness, I would have my paperwork all perfect and I would hope to high heaven that they were not the most qualified of the group. Not because they are ill (Managers take that in stride because at one time or another, every employee is ill), but because they are making an issue of it, and if they are making this big of deal about it I would be afraid that they are gunning for a lawsuit or will terrorize the other employees into doing their work for them. I would also see it as a bit of a threat (I'm telling you I'm sick up front, so if you don't accomodate me- I'll take you to court). I know this is not your intention, but this is how it can be seen.

If you are just absolutely worried about your illness, the most that I would recommend that you do is ask to speak with an HR representative for that company. They can be a resource to help determine if the job is too rigid, stressful or physical for your illness. Keep in mind that you shouldn't go into great detail-keep it simple. A good HR consultant will stop you from going into detail. Also keep in mind that they have a right to communicate everything you say to the person who would be your Manager. However, if I heard of a candidate speaking to HR about this illness and their concerns, I would tend to consider the playing field even for them. I wouldn't give them an advantage, but I wouldn't believe they were as threatening because the subject was approached in a mature and calm manner. That speaks volumes to employers.

The other pieces of advice are just along the traditional lines of have a good resume- no mispellings. I would include any charity work that you have performed and describe your absence from working life as a "leave of absence". Look nice for your interview, be reasonable about the hours you can work-don't overcommit. Be positive in your answers, don't trash old employers, and let your personality shine through. After the interview, send a short thank you note.

Most of all- have enthusiasm for the job. 9 out of 10 people that I interview are lacking it.

I hope this helps. Best of luck. Working with POTS has its challenges, but its not impossible and many here on the forum are in the same position. Just try and put your fears aside. If the job ends up being too much, most employers will let you scale down or if worse comes to worse, you can quit and find a new one.

Kits

Also, forgot to say. I would file for intermittant FMLA as soon as you are able. Managers around here actually seen IFMLA as a relief because your employee can call in sick and it does not drag down your attendance standards. What is hard on an employer is having them not on IFMLA and having to enforce a sick call policy on them, knowing that they are sick. I can't speak for all, but us sickies tend to think of IFMLA as putting our Managers in a trap. I myself am on IFMLA and I had an employee with Orthostatic Hypotension on IFMLA- it's actually a relief for a Manager because they often times can get approval for a PRN.

By the way. Have you thought about starting off as a PRN? Great way to get your foot in the door and measure out the company!! Hospitals are commonly hiring scads of PRNs for desk areas like medical records and patient account services. No guaranteed hours, but you can decide that AM whether or not to work!

Kits

Janey - Isn't it stressful to realize you must get back to work..and know you are just possibly in good enough POTS-health to do it (yet still be much more exhausted than normal folk). I'm telling myself I need to get working because at least I'm not at my worst. Maybe I'll get better, maybe not, but there's no predicting the future so take advantage while I can.

I'm so happy your letter worked for you - I used to be in journalism and blog a bit for free for clips on my own time. Just to keep my skills somewhat rolling. Marketing/PR is a bit easier than outright journalism and POTS. PR less so, as there is a lot of interaction/events.

Kits - That is all wonderful advice. I didn't realize the accommodation question...the job I am going for now is no physical labor. So I can answer 'yes' from what I have of the description. And I will be honest in the hours I can reasonably put in. How should I verify there is no travel, though? I was on IFMLA at my last job and it worked wonderfully. I was able to go to my doctors appointments and a flu I caught didn't cause me to use all my sick time in one go. I didn't abuse it, but it did allow me to be less stressed and know it was there if I needed it. In fact, when I was doing poorly I even reduced my schedule and work was fine with it - it was a win-win situation due to work load/my health. Sometimes things work out! It just takes 12 months and I know I should not worry myself, but that always nags (what if I get a bad flu, etc?). I was told that if health does take a nose dive, be honest and say you need to resign or work less hours if it is really to that point rather than miss too much work and be let go. If this good advice in your experience?

Thank you so much! And I will look into PRN work. I have to research where to find that in my area.

I'm just wondering at what point people become eligible for long term disability, having such a hard time working? I've been with my job for 5 years, and they just suggested I take some sort of leave to recoup my health, but I don't see how that will do anything more than give a temporary reprieve? Unless you can negotiate reduced enough hours, how long can you keep going a full schedule? I'm just asking those questions because I'm struggling so hard myself with just 30 hours a week.

In reply,

I would check for travel. That is a bit of a different ball game. You can usually call in sick at the drop of a hat, but to call in sick for travel that your company has booked and paid for will raise the boss irritation sirens fast. It is an important question that I would ask in the interview. With airline security measures being what they are you will likely have to stand in line, run to gates with luggage and your coworkers would not be able to use your ticket. I would be very cautious about travel if it is involved.

About the firing question- that is a hard question to answer. On one hand, it is much easier to find another position (even within the same company) if you are not fired. If the job does not work out, you can cite that it was a poor job fit and some (good) Managers may even help place you in another position in the company. In the US, employers are prohibited from giving references over the phone to another company other than how long you worked, if you had a tardiness or attendance problem, if you were fired, and if given the chance they would hire you again. That said, come companies break the law. Also, companies are free to exchange more detailed info within the company. Being fired can actually get you banned from employment within the company for a period of time (its called non-rehire status). So, I would much rather be honest with how much I can work and move positions or reduce days than be fired. If you don't qualify for IFMLA, do let your Manager know about your illness so they can work with you to prevent sick days.

The only advantage that I can see from being fired is I have been told that you cannot collect unemployment benefits if you quit. Before you consider this a benefit, you would want to double check to see if you would qualify for unemployment. I am uncertain of the requirements and length of employment that it requires.

Hopefully this helps. I just don't think that POTS patients should sell themselves short and assume that they would be a burden to any employer. I would take a POTS patient any day over some of the employees that I have inheirited from other Managers. POTS patients tend to be thankful, diligent, patient, motivated and kindly. All of these are truly treasures to any employer, even despite the inevitable sick days.

Kits