Questions For Those Who Are Helped By Iv's

babettess

I spent 7 hours in the Emergency Room on Friday evening. I couldn't get my heart rate down or my whole body to quit shaking. The ER doctor was familiar with POTS and hooked me up to a bag of 1000ml of "Lactated Ringer" IV fluids. After the second bag, I started feeling better but then I got worse again and began the whole skaking experience all over. Then I got a little scared because I wasn't getting better and wondered if something else was going on that was going to be missed because we were just thinking POTS. The ER doctor said to be patient that sometimes it takes a little more. So after two more bags of fluids, my heart rate went down and I stopped shaking.

My neuro has said that getting IV fluids occasionally might help me and would give me a standing order, but he doesn't think my insurance will pay. I'm not sure how much I was helped by the fluids to know if I want to pursue doing it more often. I would like to give it another try though and get the fluids started when I first start feeling bad instead of after I am in such poor shape. Maybe it wouldn't take as much fluid then. The day after the fluids I had a headache, was very swollen and all my muscles ached, but my heart rate was down.

Does it sometimes take so much fluid for us to see the benefits? Please related experiences.

Thanks,

Babette

A LONG TIME AGO before they knew what was wrong with me they put me in the hospital for failure to thrive. I remember getting so much fluid but slowly. When my pc came in the next day I said now I know what it's like for a car to get an oil change. I couldn't believe how much better getting fluids made me feel.

Are you able to take any meds to bring down your HR? Had you missed a med earlier and were you having rebound tachy? How high were you? i HOPE YOUR FEELING MUCH BETTER NOW~

Now I get fluids 2 times a week and they usually help. Right now I haven't felt right since I got the flu over 8 weeks ago. I get sodium chloride and slowly had to work one bag going in me at a slow rate over 8 hours. The doc had to go slow and monitor my postural signs every time I felt breathless and before durning the middle of the infusion and after. Going too fast can put you into congestive heart failure. There would be many times I end up having ekgs and nearly pass out in the bathroom and end up sent to the er. Insurance does pay, as long as the doctor can advocate for your case. I can't keep enough fluids in and I'm dehydrated every time I go back.

I now get 2 lts. and I now get it at 500 ml drip and it takes about 5 hours to go in on a good day. Once again, I'm monitered before after 1500 and when done and when in any kind of distress, such as chest pain or breathless. It took the floor to get used to my breathlessness from just walking to the bathroom.

They have wanted to put in a portacath for over a year now..... I reccomend anyone considering this not to and try this first, as I used to have one stick after another and blow out vein after vein. My daughter makes these warmer packs that fit right on my arm. It is filled with rice and cloves and smells so nice. Before the cab comes I heat it for 2 mins and put it on my arm and leave it there for the half hour ride to the hospital. I also down a can of gatorade and a glass of water. When I get there my veins are ready to be found. ; )

An infusion gives about 3 days relief, but I'm not well and need the fluids and my numbers are all over the place right now. I can't wait to go back tomorrow morning. I hope this was helpful to you and I wish you the very best.

bellamia~

Don't be talked into a port. I believe that hospitals are too short staffed and I'm not going to risk my life becase they are short staffed. After, they get my iv in I put the warmer on my chest to warm up my tight chest muscles and enjoy the cloves as I find it very relaxing