Excersize

miranda

Yes, this is true and there is research from several sources that indicate that squeezing certain muscle groups can help abort a faint by quickly pushing up blood from the lower body by squeezing.

Quote from the "what helps" section of the main DINET site

"Countermaneuvers can help to decrease symptoms by lessening the amount of blood that pools in one's legs. Useful countermaneuvers include: standing with your legs crossed, sitting in a low chair, sitting in the knee to chest position, leaning forward with your hands on your knees when sitting and tightening the buttocks, thigh and leg muscles when standing (particularly when standing for any length of time). Research shows that tensing the leg muscles while standing enhances brain blood flow and reduces sympathetic activity (van Lieshout Pott, Madsen, van Goudoever & Secher, 2001.) Squatting can also be a useful countermaneuver, although some patients report an increase in symptoms after squatting."

Mirry,

I purchased an isokinetic exercise bike online to simulate bike riding while laying down. It can be used in bed or while laying on the floor. It can also be used while sitting, although I haven't gotten that far yet.

You can really get a good workout this way. Sure it wears me out, and I do feel sore later in the day, but it's worth it. It's under $100

http://www.isokineticsinc.com/category/chair/product/mpe1g

There are other sites that sell this thing and there are other styles available.

Frank

You can also do simple things, like hold onto a wall or rail or chair and do calf exercise like toe raises. I stand on my bottom step and also do heel drops.

thanks , that looks a really good item to buy if space is tight , I like the way it has different tensions.

mighty mouse , I was doing some of those stair drops this morning (how strange) it was my husbands idea. I could really feel it.

Another question : With this condition , is it bad to be overweight ?

I ask this because I have read people have been told to put on weight .

I need to loose 28lb :rolleyes: .

There's no evidence that more weight will make you feel better. I would follow the prevailing evidence that staying at a normal body weight is better for you long term b/c you're still at higher risk of things like diabetes, heart disease, cancer etc. if you weigh too much. It's important not to become "deconditioned" with this illness--that means trying not to lose whatever strength and aerobic capacity that you have b/c those things help us to better cope long term, if you can. Not everyone can do traditional exercise--like above, some much do so while lying down, and others really just can't.

But... if you CAN exercise, you really should.

• 4 weeks later...