Eds Scars

summer

Someone mentioned strange looking scars in a previous post related to EDS. For those of you who have EDS, can you describe how any scars you have would compare to normal scars? I have heard that the scars can be wide. How wide is wider than normal?

I think I have quite a few characteristics of EDS. I have an old surgical scar from when I was a child. I'm sure it is as much as 1 cm wide in places. Does this sound like an unusually wide scar?

EDS scars are typically called "papyraceous scar" "tissue paper scar" or "cigarette paper scar".

My typical EDS scar is where I had my reveal device implanted. A "normal" scar for this procedure is 2-3cm long and fades to a fine white line (like it was drawn in pencil). When my wound was a week old it started to stretch and the doctors thought that it was infected (swabs were all negative).

Apparently EDS scar tissue takes much longer than normal to develop any strength, so although the wound isn't open it is very fragile and any tension on the wound will cause it to become wide.

They are often confused for "keloid scars" as the initial apperance can be similar. Keloids however are an overgrowth of scar tissue so there is a palpable lump in the scar. EDS scars are very thin in depth, like a bit of tissue rather than normal skin thickness.

The general advice for people with EDS is to have any sutures left in for twice as long as normal, and also to help reduce tension on the scar as it forms by using steri-strips to give extra hold.

I actually had my reveal device removed 2 days ago so I am currently trying to look after my wound. This is the third time that I have had a reveal procedure and they have cut through my old scar again. The doctor said she didn't use sutures in the skin but used wound glue instead. I said that would be fine and I would put on steri-strips afterwards. What the doctor actually did was put LOTS and LOTS of glue on - the wound is 3cm long but I have a patch of glue about 6 x 6cm. (Rather sore!).

A google image search doesn't give many pictures but this picture shows multiple EDS scars.

After having trouble finding pictures on the internet I now know why Prof Mathias wants a photo of my scar to use for teaching / publication. We took some photos at home just before my op this week, when I get the photos if there is a good one I'll try to post a link.

Flop

Flop,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a great answer to my question. This really helps a lot. After doing some more research on my own, I also read that EDS patients often develop a larger than usual scar where they received their smallpox vaccine as children ...if they are old enough to have received this vaccine. Apparently, this scar can be used in assessment of patients who do not have many/any sugical or other scars. I thought that was interesting.

Hope your wound heals well following your proceedure. Do post a link for a photo if you have one. Thanks again for all your help!

Summer