Flying With Pots

Stormie74

I have to fly to Orlando from Michigan for a work conference in another month. I've heard that flying is not good for people with POTS, but I don't have any other option, as it's for work. Any suggestions? Have you flown? How did it bother you?

Thanks!

There have been tons of discussion threads on this topic. You might do a search.

I have never had any particular problems, it's important to stay hydrated (you tend to get more dehydrated when flying). The cabin is pressurized to be similar to being at about 7,000 ft. So oxygen is lower (what it would be if you were at 7,000 ft elevation). This can aggravate POTS.

Katherine

Hi Caron,

I have to fly about four times a year, and the flying itself usually doesn't bother me. I make sure I plan for a day after travel to rest a lot, since that's when it usually hits me. I get more fatigued than usual, and try to nap. As Katherine wrote, buy yourself a big ol' bottle of water to take with you on the flight, and get up and stretch/move around when you can.

Good luck,

Jana

When I had to fly from Colorado to California for my daughter's wedding last year, my POTS doctor recommended that I let the airlines know I needed a wheelchair from gate to gate. That was such a big help. When I get off the plane I am so dizzy. Not even my cane or hanging onto my husband helps me stay upright.

I plan to let the airlines know I need wheelchair assistance when I fly to Maryland in April for the birth of my first "biological" grandchild.

Once, after being extremely sick for a very long time, I asked to get off the plane after they closed it -- and got oxygen. My legs felt extremely weak after that flight, my voice shook uncontrollably for a day or two from weakness, and I could barely eat anything at all for days afterwards (in the middle of a period of years in which I had a lot of difficulty eating because of other symptoms).

Another time, I fell asleep, woke up and (still half-asleep) felt like I was going to lose consciousness so I ran to the back of the plane where I collapsed hot as blazes :wub: (I think that's the only hot smiley :( ); I iced myself down.

Another time, between flights, I got nauseated, hot as blazes :wub: (wet myself down) and then so exhausted, I fell asleep.

Another time (on the flight), I got up to use the bathroom and planned to go to sleep when I got back to my chair when, all of the sudden with no warning or feeling beforehand, thwack....!! :) I got oxygen.