Florinef/potassium Pills Cause High Blood Pressure?

I've been on 1/2 of a Florinef for a week and a half. Yesterday I had horrible muscle spasms in my legs and arms and took a potassium pill both yesterday and today. I wasn't feeling well and having some palpitations and my blood pressure was 147/88 (normally around 105/75). Is this normal, and could the potassium cause the high blood pressure? If it's not one thing it's another - sheesh.

I've been on 1/2 of a Florinef for a week and a half. Yesterday I had horrible muscle spasms in my legs and arms and took a potassium pill both yesterday and today. I wasn't feeling well and having some palpitations and my blood pressure was 147/88 (normally around 105/75). Is this normal, and could the potassium cause the high blood pressure? If it's not one thing it's another - sheesh.

No, it's not the potassium- it's the florinef. Have you been getting good relief from it (the florinef)? If so, I'd go down to 1/4 tablet rather than stopping all together. Florinef is known to raise BP. I had the same situation. It gave me good relief UNTIL my BP got too high.

Our docs have given us permission to go up and down on dosage as needed. It's really smart to periodically check your BP as it can inexplicably (silently) shoot up with the florinef. BTW, florinef can drain your body of potassium. It's good to replace it sometimes. At a low dose like you are taking, it's usually not necessary. Is your potassium a prescription? Be sure to carefully monitor that as a low/high can affect HR, etc.

Let us know how you do.

Julie

No, it's not the potassium- it's the florinef. Have you been getting good relief from it (the florinef)? If so, I'd go down to 1/4 tablet rather than stopping all together. Florinef is known to raise BP. I had the same situation. It gave me good relief UNTIL my BP got too high.

Our docs have given us permission to go up and down on dosage as needed. It's really smart to periodically check your BP as it can inexplicably (silently) shoot up with the florinef. BTW, florinef can drain your body of potassium. It's good to replace it sometimes. At a low dose like you are taking, it's usually not necessary. Is your potassium a prescription? Be sure to carefully monitor that as a low/high can affect HR, etc.

Let us know how you do.

Julie

I do have a Potassium prescription from when I was diagnosed with Meniere's (incorrectly), but just took OTC Potassium supplements. My BP was up in the 120's yesterday and 130's this morning, but when I started feeling bad I checked and it was 147/88. That's a new one for me. Thanks for the advice!

I've had my BP go a bit too high as well, though in my case I think it was Ibuprofen adding to blood volume on top of everything else. Fludrocortisone, salt & water intake all work together so it might take a consistent approach & modest adjustment across all three to find a good steady helpful state for you. I go more modest & steady with the salt & water when taking fludro compared to when I'm not. I like it for that, since I don't have to pound the water as much (and am not urinating as often)... but if not sweating it out it can build a bit too much.

Potassium intake tends to trigger aldosterone release in order to lower it (assuming you are not low). Aldosterone tells kidneys to dump potassium and retain sodium. Aldosterone is what the "mineralocorticoid" side of fludrocortisone is mimicking... so a sudden increase in K intake can be compounding with fludro on salt/water reuptake in the kidneys. A slow release K might be ideal if you are going low due to steady influence of fludro. A blood test is ideal way to tell this. Otherwise, small doses at a time is probably wise if you decide to take regular K. Of course, electrolyte drinks like Gatorade will have it too.

I use my weight scale as a judgment of my hydration status... water weight shows up pretty well (and usually confirms how hydrated I "feel"). That can be handy, along with watching BP regularly of course.