Why Does Taking Nitroglycerin Tablets Help Me?

janiedelite

But, a Beta Blocker still helps me (Inderal/Propranonol)...should it? But it does. I've never tried Nitro and I only get some minor chest pain.

Thankful - your chest pain sounds awful. Is it fairly new with the POTS or always since you've had it?

I started having regular chest tightness and aching in the summer of 2008 (POTS started 10/06). It's slowly gotten worse and is mostly incapacitating during stress or extended periods of talking. During these periods I also experience high BP, flushing, migraines, etc., as opposed to my routine OI symptoms like fatigue, nausea, etc.

I'd complained to my doctors of the chest pain and associated symptoms for over 18 months. My EKG was normal, as well as my chest xray. BP was a little wacky but usually if it was really high I could lie down and bring it into a normal range. So the chest pain was attributed to "just another wacky POTS symptom."

In 11/09, I had the episode of high BP/chest pain/tingly-detached sensations that sent me to the ER because it wouldn't get better by lying down. In the ER, my troponin was elevated and I ended up staying in the hospital, taking nitro and beta blockers. I was on 180mg pyridostigmine a day at that time. I stayed on the pyridostigmine after I was discharged from the hospital and had another scary episode of unrelenting hypertension a few days later (which resolved with nitro). So I quit the pyridostigmine and haven't had an episode since like the one that sent me to the hospital.

The carvedilol certainly helps me, and it seems that my cold hands and feet are somewhat worse on it. But I love not having palpitations and it helps with the flushing, chest pain, and other hyperadrenergic symptoms. I only take nitro during periods of stress now. Most folks with OI probably would feel much worse on nitro as it increases pooling and drops BP. My hyperadrenergic symptoms are problematic enough that the nitro is actually helpful for me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I love not having palpitations and it helps with the flushing, chest pain, and other hyperadrenergic symptoms. I only take nitro during periods of stress now. Most folks with OI probably would feel much worse on nitro as it increases pooling and drops BP. My hyperadrenergic symptoms are problematic enough that the nitro is actually helpful for me.

I'm so glad you have some symptoms somewhat under control! It's something! Who'd think Nitro of all things.

I'm still surprised about what I read/find out about POTS. Symptoms can vary so much!

As for Mestinon. I still don't know if it helps. I've fortunately not had chest pain like you describe and hope I never do. But it sounds like it was causing some if it?

As for Mestinon. I still don't know if it helps. I've fortunately not had chest pain like you describe and hope I never do. But it sounds like it was causing some if it?

Yes, it was responsible for the two episodes of high BP, chest pain, and wierd tingly sensations that wouldn't get better with lying down. It wasn't responsible for the regular episodes of chest pain from any type of stress. The carvedilol has helped with that tremendously, although I still take a nitro once in a while during worse times of stress.

• 1 year later...

I found this conversation in researching what is going on with me. I thought others might enjoy reading all the knowledge that some of our members have in these complicated issues. We all have recently been talking about things that have been talked about quite a while ago. There's some good info here. Now I hope that the docs can figure out what to give me - since the nitro helped me too.

Still can't figure out - since the laxity of the veins with EDS - why they would have constriction issues and cause these pains in the chest. I still have the pooling and edmea too. When my NO levels were measured through a breath test - it was normal. But - I do question the test. It was a new thing that was being experimented with and I wonder if it was accurate. If the leg veins are constricted - probably shouldn't wear support hose. But with the varicose veins and swelling in the legs - it makes them feel better. Don't know what to do.