Hookah And Pots

JeffKohrman

Hookah, beer and nicotine. And lots and lots of pretzels. We're a wild bunch! ;)
Indeed :)Hey Burschman... don't bogart the hookah! And though he mentions beer, I know Rama is curious about phenobarbital (since it is mentioned as potentially helpful for the H-POTS folks)... might have security check his pockets on the way in to the party. Ok, who forgot to invite Melissa?

Moderation is the key, which is particularly difficult when dealing with barbituates.

I'm really stuck on what could've caused such wonderful side effects. I know that smoking is a vaso-constricting act in itself, and it draws blood away from extremities and towards vital organs, which would reduce swelling and aching from blood pooling. That would also explain why I felt cold afterwards.. But would that also make my stomach calm down, and reduce cramping? I've been told that my headaches are caused by reduced bloodflow to my head, so that would alleviate that.

But could it really just be the act of smoking? I'm starting to confuse myself. Dang it.

Also, my local head shop should be getting more hookahs in the next few days, and they're trying to get some herbal shisha for me too, so hopefully this weekend i'll be able to try it again.

The body certainly shifts priorities around on demand... I suppose if it triggers something like that (even if it doesn't make outward sense)... some redirected blood flow, hormonal signal, sympathetic/parasympathetic signaling or whatever could result. I doubt you can still buy them now-a-days but maybe one could smoke a candy cigarette as a "control" to the experiment?

If nothing else, you have a good research topic here. Perhaps give it a shot with federal funding... maybe some stimulus dollars. As a backup plan, sell it to a youngster for a great science-fair project! Sure to get top prize :)

Joking aside. It remains intriguing. I'm more in Kava-Kava country than Hookah-ville here (in tropics) otherwise I'd try to track one down and do a brief experiment too.

You see, I don't know what negative effects this is going to have on me, that is why I haven't tried it since then. The herbal shisha is made out of Sugar Cane Bagasse, which is linked to Bagassosis, or Pulmonary Fibrosis, which scares the ever living poo out of me (I wish.. lol). The regular shisha tobacco contains, well, tobacco. If that were to have less health effects, I'd be willing to try it, but my fiance doesn't approve of that idea anyway.

Jeff, I don't know what the stats are on that. But I just watched my grandmother die from Pulmonary Fibrosis a little over a year ago, my mother was diagnosed with it a little before my grandmother passed. You don't want to go there. :-( For my mom, she luckily still has the full use of one lung, and 60-70% use of the other lung, but she's already been on Oxygen for over a year and has had to alter her life style. She can't have a conversation without her oxygen on, she will get confused, weak and dizzy. It's not a pretty way to go.

Never tried Kava, and I probably won't try any of the commercial products, since they generally use the leaves now. I've heard that the leaves can cause liver damage, it's the roots that are the safest.

Jessica - I know Pulmonary Fibrosis is very serious, so I'm also looking at a local company's product, Holy Smoke, which is made with spices rather than bagasse. It's a very small company though, so it doesn't have an online identity yet.. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother and mother. I hope your mom's doing well now!

Jessica - I know Pulmonary Fibrosis is very serious, so I'm also looking at a local company's product, Holy Smoke, which is made with spices rather than bagasse. It's a very small company though, so it doesn't have an online identity yet.. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother and mother. I hope your mom's doing well now!

Not to be completely depressing, but my mom is status quo. There is no improving or getting better from PF, the only thing in question is how fast one declines. She was steady with fairly low loss of function in her one lung, but it has started to loose more function again, still not quickly, but she will never be the same nor will she recover.

Thank you for your thoughts though, I appreciate it. :blink:

Quick update: I went back to the Pillar (the Hookah Lounge), and was so excited over the whole ordeal that I forgot my BP cuff. Anyway, here's what happened.

My pulse started out at 130 sitting, and gradually slowed to 90 sitting, after about two hours. My joints don't hurt, my head didn't hurt, my chest doesn't hurt, I'm not dizzy, and I'm feeling pretty energized.

This time I seem to be more light sensitive, and much more susceptible to stress headaches, and my stomach is hurting more than beforehand (which may or may not be related). Also, my chest is a bit tight, almost asthmatic feeling.

I'll be trying it one more time, to see if the results are similar. Thanks for all the help and support guys!

Unfortunately, I've been forced to choose between this answer, and my family. This decision came shortly after buying an $80 hookah. Joy.

Anyway, i just wanted to thank everyone who has given me guidance/suggestions over the past week or so. I'll still be bringing this information to the attention of my POTs doctors.

Thanks again!

Jeff