Swallowing Trouble

Radha

i had problems with swallowing for a long time, but recently i noticed it is geting worse, sometimes have to try 3 or 4 times just to

swallow my saliva, and then other times, swallow no problem, could this be just the POTS? and is there any medicine or pill to help

it? thanks for any help

Radha

I don't know , but I had it too. Went as far as having a procedure done to stretch my throat out.(Can't remember what it was called right now). Doctor said I may need it done again, I am fine now. I think he called it a stricture?

I believe for me it was all POTS, ans related, and the surgery was probably unnecessary. But anyway it was an easy procedure, with no pain.

There can be many different causes of swallowing difficulties with different treatments. The procedure Notgivinup is referring to is esophageal dialtation and is used to treat esophageal strictures.

The best way to evaluate swallowing function is with a Modified barium swallow study which is conducted by a radiologist and a Speech Pathologist. It's a simple test that shows the movement of food and liquids from the mouth to slightly below the head of the esophagus. There are different types of techniques and treatments the Speech Path. can show you to help depending on the specific problem. If it IS and esophageal issue then you would be referred to a GI for further testing and treatment.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted! ;)

PS. If you feel up to it; do a search on swallowing. There have been a lot of discussions in the past.

I have swallowing trouble. My mito doctor says it's due to dysmotility. My biochemical doctor says it's due to acetylcholine deficiency. All I know is sometimes I put food in my mouth and all of a sudden I just can't swallow. It's in there and I want it to go down but I can't get my muscles to initiate a swallow reflex. When this happens my boyfriend and I say my 'swallower's broken'. I have no idea what causes it but it can be very scary and frustrating. Here are some things I have learned around this issue:

1. hot liquids seems to bring it on

2. when it starts, i can't force food down - i just have to wait

3. my swallower often 'reboots' during sleep - i find the next morning i usually can swallow OK

I'm sorry your swallower's broken. It's no fun :)