Question To Women Only

lissy

Have you had any problems with losing breast volume since becoming ill? I have this issue and I have had most of the hormonal testing and everything has been in normal range . I am 31 and didn't think you really lose volume at my age, I know its not a serious problem compared to alot of other issues we face but it has been a self-confidence issue for me.

And I have read some other posts that fludrocortisone kinda does something with estrogen and was wondering if this med would help with that issue along with the many others its suppose to help.

Hoping someone can relate to this and shed some insight. I went from a C cup to a A cup and it doesn't seem normal to me.

Lissy

Lissy,

After the birth of my second child, my dysautonomia slowly became worse and worse. At the same time my hormone levels slowly dwindled down to "barely functional" levels. ANS issues will mess with your Hypothalamus/Pituitary/Ovary axis, there are several articles that mention this. My guess is that this is what has happened with you. As your estrogen levels have declined, your breast tissue has decreased in size. This is my best guess, at least.

I know that since taking hormone replacement therapy, much of what I lost has returned (energy, function, etc.) as well as an improvement of my ANS symptoms. I am one of the few who has done well on HRT, many do worse. Speak frankly with your OB/GYN, that is what they are there for, it is something that he/she needs to know anyway.

No. I've always had Ds when I am above 120lbs (5'7") and a Cs when I am around 115lbs. I haven't noticed a connection between breast size and POTS (and I've been through some pretty wild ups and downs) nor have I noticed a connection between my hormones and my breast size (my period went from coming every 26 days like clockwork to coming every 19, 22, even 36 days since last May). I have, however, noticed a connection between what I eat and my breast size. A diet higher in carbs seems to affect my cup size A LOT. Like last winter I couldn't work out and ate more carbs, so I gained about 10 pounds (from 115 to about 125) and instead of getting Ds I barely fit into a DD. It's weird.... So anywho, check you diet :)

Lissy,

How has your weight been? If you've lost much weight, than you've probably lost breast volume. I can't think of anything that POTS would do to effect the size of your breasts. I used to be a 'C' cup, and when I got ill I lost about 15-20 pounds and I'm now a 'A' cup as well. Have you had a child? This will also decrease/cause more sagging of the breasts as will yo-yo dieting.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jana

Lissy,

The obvious question would be whether or not you've recently lost weight. (I know you've probably already taken that into account :)) With my illness, my weight has gone up and down, currently quite low. With that drop in weight, my breasts are really small. If your weight is stable and just your breasts have shrunk....sounds like a hormone imbalance. Your gyn should be able to help with that. I know that after I finished breast feeding, my breasts totally deflated :blink:

Are you currently on florinef? That may be the culprit, especially if your dose is high. It has some steroidal properties. I took it for a while, just 1mg, then .05mg and didn't really notice an effect on my breasts. My face felt fuller with it- weird. Definitely bring it up with your gyn.

I have a few ideas to help you deal with it. By any chance, do you also have slowed digestion? If so, there is a med called domperidone that will most definitely plump your chest back up. It was originally used to help new Moms who were having trouble getting enough milk for breast feeding. Patients noticed the increased hunger and digestion and it began being used for gastroparesis & small bowel dysmotility. It is not FDA approved or available in the US, not because it isn't safe. IT IS- it has a long track record proving both safety and efficacy. It is not available here because the patent has expired and it's not profitable for US drug companies to make it. It is easily ordered overseas or compounded here locally. All GI's in the US regularly prescribe it as it's one of very few options left to help folks with slow digestion. Enlarged breasts are a side effect :P

My other helpful :rolleyes: idea is to get a good padded bra while you are sorting this out. I recently went from a 36 C to a 34 B and feel your pain. Victoria's Secret has so many pretty styles that helped me feel like myself.

Let us know what you find out.

Julie

thanks for replies----I did have a baby almost 2 years ago when my POTS went haywire!!! and when I first got sick I was losing weight actually my normal weight was about 100lbs went down to 93 and now back up after all this time currently 105 I'm not on any meds yet...my family doc said hormones looked normal and couldn't offer no real answers. I do wear padded bras also I just notice my skin is just saggy also on my neck like my whole body is lackin and dehyrated . One thing when I went to the endo doc to check hormones he did say my thyroid was on the low side not enough for diease but if i wanted he would treat me for hypothyroid which also didnt make much sense.

Lissy

thanks for replies----I did have a baby almost 2 years ago when my POTS went haywire!!! and when I first got sick I was losing weight actually my normal weight was about 100lbs went down to 93 and now back up after all this time currently 105 I'm not on any meds yet...my family doc said hormones looked normal and couldn't offer no real answers. I do wear padded bras also I just notice my skin is just saggy also on my neck like my whole body is lackin and dehyrated . One thing when I went to the endo doc to check hormones he did say my thyroid was on the low side not enough for diease but if i wanted he would treat me for hypothyroid which also didnt make much sense.

Lissy

Lissy,

I was labeled as hypothyroid at a TSH of 3.0. Low is a relative term, what is low for one is normal for another. I felt hypothyroid, my TSH was elevated and I had all the symptoms. Based on that, my doctor dxed and treated me for hypothyroidism. You might give the thyroid meds a try.