Vomiting

Elfie

Hey everyone!

I have had a bit of a hard week. My grandfather died and I had to drive to another state to attend his services. I ended up spending 22 hours in the car this past weekend, most of the time I was driving. By the time I got home Sunday night my back was messed up, I had a migraine, and was in a flare. The next day I started throwing up. I would have thought it was a bug, but I had no fever or other symptoms and I could keep food down, as long as I didn't do anything to aggravate my POTs. However, I live alone, and therefore not standing up, experiencing stress (I got phone calls from my ex, and about my grandmother who fell), staying up to finish work, ect. was out of the question. Does anyone else have POTs related vomiting? If so, how do you deal?

I have vomiting episodes associated with flare-ups, too...but I have other GI stuff, too, so who knows? It also happens before I get my period. I don't really know how to deal with POTS-related vomiting. I haven't figured that out yet either. Nausea is my most debilitating symptom.

I bet that long car ride had something to do with it, though. So sorry about your grandfather and the toll it took on you. :)

Hi! Nausea and vomiting are my most common symptoms from Dysautonomia and they get a lot worse and verge onto repeated vomiting when I'm going through physically and emotionally stressful times. I take meds meds meds, compazine (or if you're based in the UK it's called stemetil) is the most effective in dealing with it.

I also find, if I can spend most of my day lying down then I don't get sick. I know you don't have time to do that at the moment, but taking a few minutes to lie down when you think you're about to chuck might help.

So sorry to hear about your loss and so sorry to hear about your symptoms, I am completely there with you and do understand.

janey

Elfie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's death and your grandmother's fall. I have no idea how you managed a 22 hour drive over one weekend. You should be proud of yourself for that! Could you have possibly picked up some food poisoning while you were there, or do you think it's definitely POTS-related?

Feel better soon,

Jana

A migraine symptom is vomiting and nausea. I don't throw up easily. The last time I did was when I got sick from taking hydrocodine and going to bed, and before that was overdosing on hydrocodine while on a liquid diet. But it was the only thing to stop the pain I was in. Before that it was when I ran the last fever I would ever run, at 104, right before I blacked out when I was a teenager with like...five infections and brochitis. It's very hard to make me throw up, but I do get nausea often. I call it morning sickness. It's why I don't eat too late at night or too early in the morning. :3

Elfie, So sorry about your loss. You are in a rough patch. I will be keep you and your family in my prayers.

Vomiting is a major symptom for me. When I am just ok I have tummy stress (queasy feeling). There are many reason I "throw up". When I feel this way it helps to go to bed with a bucket nearby. Usually if I lay down it with help me not throw up. The weird thing with for me is sometimes when you are sick you feel better after (excuse me ) barfing. When it is just pots thing I don't feel better after. Feel better- kayjay

I'm sorry for your loss, Elfie. My thoughts are with you and your family.

It sounds like you've got lots of things working against you. Were you riding in the car, or driving? I tend to get nauseous when I'm a passenger, especially in stop-and-go driving. Driving bothers me less because then I can anticipate the direction my body's going to go.

Migraines sometimes make me puke. And I don't know about you, but sometimes I have a migraine one day, then sortof an echo the next day.

When I tried to quit Paxil (which is what led to my POTS diagnosis) I was throwing up every day, among other symptoms. So I know that unchecked dysautonomia can cause it too.

I hope you feel better soon! There's little that's more uncomfortable than feeling queasy! :rolleyes:

Amy

I've never driven in a driver's seat, but looking around too much anywhere or being in a car for even 10 minutes will cause a flare-up in me and I get sick. Even for like 3 days afterwards sometimes. I don't know, maybe you just overdid it with driving and all the activity or something?

Vomiting is a major symptom for me. When I am just ok I have tummy stress (queasy feeling). There are many reason I "throw up". When I feel this way it helps to go to bed with a bucket nearby. Usually if I lay down it with help me not throw up. The weird thing with for me is sometimes when you are sick you feel better after (excuse me ) barfing. When it is just pots thing I don't feel better after. Feel better- kayjay

That is exactly what happens to me, too! I'm able to differentiate POTS-related GI problems from just a virus by seeing if I feel a bit better while lying down. I always get a migraine with my abdominal pain/vomitting. The only thing that helps me is lying down, quiet room. lights off, and maybe a little phenergan.

I'm sorry about the rough weekend you had. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm very nausaus now that I'm not the driver anymore, add stress. a migraine, light, and I'm sick for days on end. When you can't keep enough fluids down, Then you need some iv fluids as the more dehydrated you become the harder your heart has to work.

I hope you get rest and are feeling better soon~

I've never driven in a driver's seat, but looking around too much anywhere or being in a car for even 10 minutes will cause a flare-up in me and I get sick. Even for like 3 days afterwards sometimes. I don't know, maybe you just overdid it with driving and all the activity or something?

You get this too?! How do you think it is related to POTS/Dys?

Janey

That is exactly what happens to me, too! I'm able to differentiate POTS-related GI problems from just a virus by seeing if I feel a bit better while lying down. I always get a migraine with my abdominal pain/vomitting. The only thing that helps me is lying down, quiet room. lights off, and maybe a little phenergan.

I'm sorry about the rough weekend you had. I hope you feel better soon!

This has really helped me, thanks guys. To know you both do this has reassured me that the vomiting/nausea wasn't from any other cause except POTS, because it's ALWAYS better when I lie down.

Janey