Probiotics

Hi All,

My GI issues were miraculously quiet for about 5 days and are now back in full force... bowel hypermotility and running in the bathroom, cramping, nausea, etc. My autonomic symptoms and blood sugar drops are going wild, and I just don't know what to do anymore. I am feeling sick and scared. The only other suggestion that my GI doctor has is to try probiotics. He suggested a prescription strength one called VSL #3. Is there anybody out there who has experience with either this or another probiotic? I know that the GI symptoms are autonomic in nature and not due to IBS, but do you think it's safe and worth a try? Thank you all in advance. I am just sitting here in tears because it is so hard to be better for even just a few days and then have to go back.

~ Broken_Shell :(

Shell, I would try them. When you have GI problems (for any reason) it can disrupt the balance in your gut of good/bad bacteria. It may help with some of your symptoms b/c by making your "gut" more healthy. I have taken them before (over the counter and they helped a little (after about a month) they seemed to give me a little more regularity. Although I still have "flares".

I have taken VSL 3 for long periods of time, and I have to say, it did nothing for me. It didn't even improve my gas or cramps or any of the apparently bacterial overgrowth related problems. However, it HAS helped a lot of people, so I would not discount it if it didn't work for me.

I feel you on the digestive stuff, feels like it'll never go away. And there is only so much GI doctors can do apart from stuffing you with pills. I am thinking of you, hope you are okay.

Janey

hi!

i have taken a probiotic for 10 years plus....called ' floragen 3'

tis available w/ free shipping @ www.zerbos.com

i also take colostrum, only from new zealand.

available @ https://www.nutri-health.com/probiotics/pc/viewprd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=21

these 2 products have immensely helped keep my stomach-bowel--digestion in gr8 shape since getting POTS...thank the Lord :(

good luck , hun.....

hope this helps...or something does soon!

best regards,

Pam

Priobiotics don't seem to upset my system at all. Worth giving a try. I still take aloe vera papaya juice (several times a day if need be) when my bowels are acting up .... I was an avid google-chondriac at the time as well ;-) reading as much as I could get my hands on about idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia

So sorry you are still in the throws of this .... the 4 or 5 day break, is a wonderful sign though that your body is working its way back out. Give it time, I wish it was a linear process, but it seems we can expect several back slides down the hill as we are making our way up the mountain.

Gentle hugs.

I sure hope something can help. I've only had very very minimal gastro troubles and even that is nasty. I hope you can find relief somehow. I can at least offer sympathy... digestive troubles are so uncomfortable, sometimes worse than excruciating "simple" pain.

I have minimal experience and it is just with the old standard "L. acidophilus". Have not had any problems so far after a few weeks of taking these basic OTC probiotic capsules... but I'm usually ok intestinal-wise. This site does say it's considered "generally believed to be safe with few side effects, oral L. acidophilus should be avoided in people with intestinal damage, a weakened immune system, or with overgrowth of intestinal bacteria":

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...cidophilus.html

Sorry, just a really basic "old school" probiotic and no special insight. I wish you the best.

Just got an ad for "Align" probiotic (probably from google noticing my searches and such)! I did some searching and did find this article which argues for it's general legitimacy as an OTC probiotic (but of course it's just a "press release"):

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...009+PRN20090205

Wouldn't know how it compares to a "script" approach, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

• 12 years later...

I have suffered from awful orthostatic intolerance with concurrent extreme anxiety for about four years.  A high end probiotic made by Heallth Aid in the UK has helped tremendously!   Still have episodes of ortho intolerance, nausea with mild headaches, and emotional lability but altogether, much better.  This particular brand is only in higher end natural health food or vitamin shops but worth it.  The UK is highly regulated in supplement safety compared to the US, hence, this particular brand.  Best to you.