How Do You Trust Doctors Again?

firewatcher

Well, I tried the re-conditioning thing...and have torn my rotator cuff in the process. I know when I did it, but did not go see the doc since I thought it would get better on its own (I have had extreme post exercise soreness and thought it was just more of the same.) Well, since my kidney function tests are showing that I've lost half of my kidney function, I did not dare take any anti-inflammatories for the pain till I had it all checked with the nephrologist. Still waiting.....

....Anyway, because I have experienced so many doctors who haven't had a clue and could not help, I did not go to my doc in time and have really messed up my shoulder.

How do you learn to trust medicine again? Sometimes POTS doesn't affect every aspect of healthcare, or does it?

There is no way to trust ALL doctors again, but at times we know it is a necessity to see a doc. I think that the key for me is to stay informed and alert. Usually, I stay away from doctors completely until I have to go for a substantial reason. But before I go for something I go ahead and do all the research I can to try and narrow down what I think about my current health problem may be. It is sad that I have to do that, but let's face it, I am going to either do it before or after a doctor visit because knowledge is power, and unfortunately many healthcare providers don't give us the right answers and don't care anyway. I only go for checkups with my dys doc. I haven't had a regular checkup in years, no flu shots, etc.

Sadly, I have been unable to find a decent pcp in my area. Most are terrible, and the good ones aren't taking new patients. When I get sick or need a doc in a hurry I have been forced to visit walk in clinics where the care is substandard at best.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Geez, Jennifer- not good & you can't take anything- OUCH! Those of us with connective tissue issues (that's you!- even though we're both unDXed :) ) are more likely to have this kind of injury. I've torn mine before & it hurts so bad and is sooooo slow to recuperate. My PT had me do arm raises to the sides (stop at shoulder height) and in the front with no weights, then with 1 lbs weights after the acute injury.

I remember rolling over in the middle of the night & losing my covers & the pain from my rotator cuff prevented me from being able to get my blankets. I shivered for one whole winter :blink: Now, the hot flashes are so bad I wish i could lose my blankies :P

Hugs-

Julie

Oh Jennifer! I am so sorry to hear this. I know it's hard to trust doctors even when it is for an acute, more "normal" problem, but it sounds like you need to get it checked out. I wish I could suggest a good doctor to see who would look at you as a whole person and treat you by considering all of your symptoms and conditions, but I can only offer hugs and best wishes. Please let us know what happens.

~ Michelle :)

Just a little update: I have had labor pains that hurt less than this! I ended up calling my physical therapist, the doc who injected my shoulder and my brand new nephrologist; the responses were (in order) come in now and let me see if I can do anything, that happens in some people, and (from my new favorite doctor :( ) take 1200 mg of Motrin a day for the next two days only! My nephrologist actually called me himself and explained how I could take Motrin without frying my kidneys! He hoped that the cortisone would kick in by that time and take over treating the inflammation. Whether it was the ice and ultrasound from my PT or the cortisone has actually kicked in, the pain is less, not gone, but less and I can now dress myself (you try pulling up compression garments with one hand!) My 2400mg of Motrin are over, so we'll see today!

I guess doctors can treat some things, and we get some disorders/injuries that are "inside the box." It is a tricky thing to manage your own health and still trust someone you know doesn't know how to treat "the rest" of you. I wonder if it is possible to separate dysautonomia from any other health/body issue? For instance, yes, you have a cold, but you can't take decongestants because of the HR response. Yes, you have a broken arm, but your BP just crashed. We can have "normal" issues, but completely abnormal responses to them!

Hi,

I am glad you have gotten some pain relief :( Well said about abnormal responses to normal problems!

~ Broken_Shell