Loop Recorders

Brye

I'm getting a loop recorder heart monitor Monday. Those of you who have had it were you pretty much recovered by the next day? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to need to find a place for my kids? We have no family here but lots of friends willing to help ... I'm just trying to decide if I'll need it.

Thanks!!

Brye

It might be a good idea... I had one for a month and sent a reading in from my daughter's house....thinking nothing was wrong I got a call from my house telling me there was an ambulance there for me. Make sure you always tell them where you are when you call in, as they forgot to ask. I ended up in the hospital 3 times with the loop monitor on. I just had someone watching my dog....

Good Luck ; ) Bellamia~

It might be a good idea... I had one for a month and sent a reading in from my daughter's house....thinking nothing was wrong I got a call from my house telling me there was an ambulance there for me. Make sure you always tell them where you are when you call in, as they forgot to ask. I ended up in the hospital 3 times with the loop monitor on. I just had someone watching my dog....

Good Luck ; ) Bellamia~

Hello - are you having an external loop monitor put on for 30 days or are you having an internal loop recorder implanted? I have had both. The external monitors are not a problem at all - you just record your events and call them into the call center. They will take a look and if there is anything urgent, they will call your Dr. Otherwise, your Dr. will go over the results with you at your next visit.

The implanted loop recorder procedure wasn't too bad. I recovered pretty quickly. They used a twilight anesthesia so I was conscious but didn't feel anything. My chest muscles were pretty sore for the next week. I just took things very easy. I had the monitor removed in July after two years (battery died). This time they used general anesthesia so I was out like a light (and I preferred this to being awake for the procedure). Again, sore chest muscles but not a bad recovery.

Good luck - I hope you get the answers they are looking for....if you have any other questions, just let me know...I've had about ten external loops, probably three or four two-week holters and finally the implanted loop for 2 years. I'm happy to have none at the moment!

WOW DAISY, I never knew about internal ones... I have holter ones all the time, so much that I think I developed a severe reaction to the leads. :D WHAT KIND ARE YOU HAVING? I JUST HAD A LOT OF things going on that I wouldn't want my young kids exposed to...as I saw how it affected my granddaughter and I had no idea that these events would cause me to be sent to the hospital or I would have stayed at home.

OH WELL, we live and we learn.... ;)

BellaMia~

Hi BellaMia -

I HATE those electrodes. I would develop nasty rashes every time I had them. They would get raised and red and really raw, even the hypo-allergenic ones. I have a history of atrial tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, inapproporiate sinus tach and super ventricular tach as well as bradycardia. Of course, POTS gets throw in there for good measure. I was constantly being monitored so my EP cardio decided to put in the internal loop. I really didn't mind it too much, although it would pull and get sore at times. It was nice to have it when I would have an episode. As I'm sure you have learned, episodes don't always happen while on the monitors, although it sounds like yours did. I can relate to what you're saying about the grandkids seeing things you would rather them not. It's that way at my house with my kids too, especially my daughter. She was only 8 when I started having collapses and the paramedics kept coming and it's been really tough on her. But, we just persevere - what else can we do?

Anyway, I hope whatever was going on with you is under control....take care.

Thanks Daisy.... Love your doggy pic.....One day I'll get mine up there! LOL When the headache leaves....so I can think clearly.... :D

BellaMia~

I'm having the internal implanted one. I didn't know there was an external loop monitor. Is that different from a holter monitor? How does it indicate there has been a abnormal rhythm with the internal loop? Can you still call in to have it read or do you have to actually go in. Bella Mia ... what kind of rhythms were you having that they needed to call the ambulance? Maybe I'm better off not knowing. I can't imagine that since I'm normally home alone with my kids. Thanks for providing me with all this info. I hate surgery and I'm quite nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks!

Brye

The external loop is a bit different from the holter. The holter is monitoring you 24hours a day and there is someone on the other end watching it. With the loops, it is doing a "looped" EKG constantly but will only record when you push the button and then it is reviewed only when you call it in.

The internal loop works like the external loop. You will have a little device to place over top of your skin where the monitor is when you feel an event (dizziness, palpitations, fainting, fluttering, etc.). When you push the button, it will record (I think it "loops" back about 3 minutes prior to your recording and also records the time you pushed it). You then will either call the recording in (if you are fortunate to get a newer model) or you will have to go to your EP's office and they will hook you up to a machine and "download" you (I used to joke that I was bionic!). The Dr. will also set the recorder to record automatically if certain criteria occur (for example, if your heartrate goes up past a pre-determined number, or goes below a pre-determined number and the monitor should also record itself if there are rhythm abnormalities). These automatic recordings will show up when you either call in an event or you are downloaded.

I know it's hard not to worry about the surgery, but it really was fine. Actually, the monitor gave me peace of mind because if I did feel lousy or had an event, we could look right away at what was going on with my heart and know if it was anything to be concerned about.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! Take care.

Oh, and you may want to have someone watching your kids for at least the first day or two (especially if they are younger). You will likely be tired and groggy the first day and then pretty sore in the chest the next few days. If you're kids require you picking them up, you will not be allowed to do that for about a week.

Thanks Daisy for all the info. Very helpful. My 2 older kids will be in school but my babies are 2 and 1. I didn't know there was a no lifting restriction. My baby now weighs 32 pounds so I think I'll maybe recruit some muscles for a day or two.

THANKS!

Brye