Syncope With Gi Issues

gertie

How many of you experience vasovagal syncope when having severe colon cramps during a BM? What med's do you take? I know I've probably discussed this before but everytime I have an episode I get so depressed you would think I had never experienced it before. It is so traumatic to me to think that I may end up passed out in such an obnoxious situation. It may last 30 min before any relief & then I can hardly walk back to the bed. Now that I'm older it takes hours to recover. What would I do if this happened while away from home? I would end up in the floor in a public restroom with you know what all over me. At home I keep a table so I can fall over on it but away from home no such prop.

I keep Levsin S/L in my bathroom. I don't know when it is going to happen so I can't take anything to stop it or if there was it would probably be to sedating. Sorry this is so long. Thanks

I feel for you :rolleyes: I don't actually pass out but whenever I have to have a bowel movement or feel that urge, I get very lightheaded, nauseous, pulse racing, etc.

My Dr. says this is because of the vagal nerve. Sometimes, it's worse than others. It's really bad if I haven't gone for awhile....then I will be very sick until I do.

Lately, I have been very nauseous whenever I eat and waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm going to vomit also having the vagal symptoms.

But, I have been in a bad flare so I guess it's just par for the course.

It is traumatic to think this might happen in a public setting. I often get the vagal symptoms if I'm out eating and the food starts to move through. It's very frustrating. I guess the best thing to do is to wear a bracelet saying you have vasovagal syncope so if the worst happens, people will know what's going on. And maybe use the handicapped bathrooms that have a handle to grab onto.

I wish I had a better answer but I do empathize with what you're going through.

This is one of my major problems also. I avoid public restrooms and if I think I may have GI problems when I do go out I take an Immodium. I also have a chair in front of the toilet at home in case I need to pass out. I've been on the bathroom floor many times. One thing that helps me is my injection of octreotide. It will keep me from passing out when I use the bathroom. At night is another story, since I can't take my medications (midodrine, fludrocortisone and octreotide) at night. I have a bedside commode and sometimes I barely make it back to the bed before passing out. I've also been on my bedroom floor many times. I'm not good with bedpans. By the way, I have Pure Autonomic Failure. I hope you find something that works for you.