Weird Symptoms After Eating Carbohydrates

carinara

Hello everybody i always noticed that about half an hour after i eat carbohydrates my symptoms increase a lot. A POTS doctor told me once, that the reason for this happening is, that carbohydrates cause blood vessels to dilate. Because i felt more symptomatic in the past few weeks (probably due to the hot weather) and because i need to function at work as good as i can, i tried to cut almost all of the carbohydrates out of my food in order to have some more calculated controll over my body . I must say not eating carbohydrates at all really makes a difference to me. But every now and then mostly in the evenings like today, i do eat a tiny piece of bread or some potatoes but like i mentioned before, after about 30 minutes my symptoms increase big time for about 1 to 2 hours after eating them. During these episodes i notice (besides all the other usual symptoms) that i cant breath right, it feels as if there would be a hole somewhere in my body were the air dissapears. The other thing i notice is that in during these times my left side and arm feels heavy and i can,t lift my left arm over my head (even whilest sitting down) because it causes my HR to do funny things plus i get very dizzy. After a little while (maybe when the carbohydrates are out of my system ) these weird symptoms are gone again. Has anybody experienced this before? Can somebody explain to me why dilated blood vessels would cause breathing problems and problems with the left arm? Thanks a lot for your help, carinara

This happens to me after almost every meal, but especially one with a lot of carbs. My symptoms are a fast pounding heart, weakness, and extreme exercise intolerance. After the food digests, it goes away. This can take up to 2 hours. I go lay down for a while if the symptoms are unbearable. This helps.

I get this often after eating a high carb or large meal and it will sometimes lead to a near syncope episode. My Dr. believes it is postprandial hypotension which is a large blood pressure drop after eating due to the blood pooling in the abdomen and the heart working harder to digest the large meal (I hope I explained that right). I try to eat smaller meals throughout the day and avoid the processed carbs or high sugars because I know I'll feel lousy after I eat those things.