Abdominal Compression

I'll be going on a long airplane ride in 2 1/2 weeks. I've seen some people on here use compression hose AND abdominal compression at the same time.

First off, sitting with the 30-40 hg hose is uncomfortable. The binding rolls up and the hose themselves bunch and feel like they are binding. I cannot imagine using both on an airplane ride without feeling like I'm in a strait-jacket?!

Any opinions?

I only use the 20-30mmHg hose. I use thigh-high although knee highs are popular here too. I do use abdominal compression, especially when I have to sit up for prolonged periods like a flight. It is uncomfortable, and I get some heat rash from the elastic trapping in sweat. But the discomfort from the binder is minimal compared to the discomfort from my symptoms.

I think this is kind of a subjective thing. You have to do what works best for you!

With the Spanks, are you using the full length compression hose with the panty attached? Thanks.

I don't use both at the same time, but I'm a belly pooler....my ankles don't swell. I don't find "shapewear"' uncomfortable at all, even sitting. My abdominal compression belt always rode up over my diaphragm and that hurt.

Guest tearose

I use compression faithfully. I would be a rag doll, floppy and weak without it!!!

I must use compression in flight especially. On my last flights, years ago, I did hyperventilate and in addition to my compression had to sit and draw my legs up to my chest for about 10 minutes while I could feel the cabin pressure regulating!!! <_< I was not able to "keep my breath" and felt poorly to say the least. I was very fortunate to know how to use countermeasures to get through. I haven't flown since but will again and know I will survive.

Like most compression, the abdominal compression should be "fitted" by a professional. It should not cause you any discomfort after the initial donning and adjusting of about 10-20 minutes. I have to get into compression early in the day as well. You should know your fluids will fill you the more you are upright so you too should try donning compression early in your day.

I have used Verinoque products and other similar girdle type compression. The body shapers just are not as able to withstand my daily activity and offer the same support. I may try them again in the future but for the past years they have not worked.

tearose

Tearose,

Where do you get them fitted? Is it a prescription for a certain garment? I need more info, thanks.

Pat57,

So, you pull down your tummy tucker and your pantyhose to go to the bathroom? I can't imagine the effort, and I wonder at times if I would be able to pull them down fast enough? Your thigh area must feel like it's in a strait jacket when they are pulled down together? Yikes! I'm glad you can do it.

When I wear compression ... I wear the thigh highs and a separate wide ab belt that has velcro and is easy to adjust when I sit. Otherwise i'd be in too much abdominal pain from the pressure. I think it is sold as some kind of exercise or back support device. But it helps me when my POTS is in pooling mode -- which isn't all the time it seems. As sometimes the compression helps a lot and other periods it doesn't make a dent in my bp/pulse. So I tend to use them both, only when my blood pressure cuff confirms they are helping as intended.

pulling them down is not hard. Its better to do first the spanks ,then the hose. If you do both at the same time you might get bunching or rolling. When there's no bunching there's no discomfort. I have some trouble getting the back on the Spanks up as high as it's meant to be- that is - to the bra.

The Higher power stops the panty hose waistband from rolling also, which is part of the problem futurehope mentioned. With airplane bathrooms being so small I think you best use the one in the airport right before boarding.

The hanes product is easier to put up and helps a little, its better then nothing.

I do have to adjust my abdominal compression sometimes when I'm sitting. Wearing the compression daily took some getting used to, but it helps so much that it is worth it. I don't get as nauseated and light headed while sitting with compression on, so in a way it is actually more comfortable for me to have it on. Sometimes when my gastroparesis is flared up I can't wear the compression. On days like that I just wear it as long as I can (if I can), and then take it off when it gets uncomfortable.

Maybe if you get some abdominal compression now you can wear it around the house and get used to it before you have to wear it for a long plane ride.

I hope it works for you.

Rachel