Bjure-laurell Syndrome - Orthostatic Anemia

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/2003...703A0501038.php

Abstract;Postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS), also known as idiopathic orthostatic intolerance (IOI), is a unique orthostatic syndrome characterized by an exaggerated orthostatic increase in heart rate and various complaints. Although the terms of POTS and IOI came into common use in the English-speaking world during the last decade of the 20th century, the same concept had already been described in 1927, when Bjure and Laurell, Swedish physicians,studied static cardiovascular function in cases of arterial orthostatic anemia. They defined arterial orthostatic anemia as a feature complex of asthenic patients with various subjective complaints. They determined heart rate and minute volume of these cases in the supine position, the free erect position, and the erect position with immersion of the body to the mammilary level in water at 35.DEG.C.. Heart rate increased and minute volume decreased following the postural change from the supine to the erect position, but immersion in water prevented these cardiovascular changes, as well as the appearance of subjective complaints. The authors claimed that a primary cause of arterial orthostatic anemia was an excessive blood pooling in the lower part of the body, and the subsequent decrease of blood flow in the other parts of body resulted in tachycardia and various subjective complaints. Judging from these descriptions, we would like to accredit Bjure and Laurell as "the first discoverers" of POTS/IOI. If we thus rename POTS/IOI after the names of its discoverers, the term of "Bjure-Laurell syndrome" may be adopted. (author abst.)

Interesting, there have been other historical descriptions of what was probably POTS in the medical literature too. During the First World War it was called "Soldier's Heart" or "irritable heart" it has also been called "Da Costa's syndrome" and other names that I can't recall off-hand.

Interesting to see though that these researchers had discovered a way of testing for the problem and a mechanism for supressing the reaction.

Flop

My own opinion is it wouldn't bother me much if they called it something besides POTS. I tend to say almost anything else to describe my condition because I think "POTS" sounds dumb. If they do rename us, I hope it will be easy to say, whatever it is.

My own opinion is it wouldn't bother me much if they called it something besides POTS. I tend to say almost anything else to describe my condition because I think "POTS" sounds dumb. If they do rename us, I hope it will be easy to say, whatever it is.

I TOTALLY AGREE.

"Bjure-Laurell syndrome"

I would LOVE to see this name adapted for P.O.T.S. You try to explain this illness with POTS and you always get giggles, which depending on my mood I do not find comforting at all. I say I have problems with gravity and upright posture, to start with and other complexities.

POTS may be good for umbrella term but much like my INITIAL dx of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is insulting. Like calling TB chronic cough syndrome or Diabetes Chronic Thirst syndrome.