Bee Sting!

Yesterday morning I was stung on my left index finger by a bumble bee... I immediately made an aspirin/water paste and applied it and the initial pain went away, but I grayed out and woke up on the floor.

I took 2 Benadryl (per Dr instructions last sting I had) and when the finger was throbbing, heart racing, and still foggy I took 2 more Bebadryl 30 mins later - still Dr instructions,

I have known for some time that red wasps will do major BAD things to me - and admittedly this is the first bumble bee sting.

But I wonder if I reacted to the sting - or just anxiety from being stung? Yesterday afternoon I took an extra Atenolol because my HR stayed over 120 all afternoon.

BEEware of BEES!!

My dad is highly allergic to bee stings and has been advised to carry an epi pen in case he gets stung. When he was stung last on his hand, it swelled up 3 or 4 times its size by the time he'd gotten to the ER where they treated him. The next time he gets stung, the doc is concerned about further swelling, especially of his airway.

Sorry, I don't know exactly what bee venom does to people with dysautonomia.

Yesterday morning I was stung on my left index finger by a bumble bee... I immediately made an aspirin/water paste and applied it and the initial pain went away, but I grayed out and woke up on the floor.

I took 2 Benadryl (per Dr instructions last sting I had) and when the finger was throbbing, heart racing, and still foggy I took 2 more Bebadryl 30 mins later - still Dr instructions,

I have known for some time that red wasps will do major BAD things to me - and admittedly this is the first bumble bee sting.

But I wonder if I reacted to the sting - or just anxiety from being stung? Yesterday afternoon I took an extra Atenolol because my HR stayed over 120 all afternoon.

BEEware of BEES!!

I think anxiety may have played a roll. If it was anaphylactic shock you probably would of needed a epipen to stop it. Benadryl might of made a difference to that it might not of. Anaphylactic shock is a severe drop in blood pressure, that often has hives, major swelling, respiratory distress etc, usually happens within the first few minutes of exposure. Its hard to say though, to be positive you would have to get a allergy test.

I have had a anaphylactic reaction before, so when i get bug bites i immediately get anxiety even if i dont have a bad reaction.

I was told reactions can vary each time (sometimes they can get worse after exposure, too) so to be prepared many people carry an Epi just in case.

I'd talk to your doctor when you go in and discuss carrying an Epi. I carry one even thought my allergist thinks there is minimal chance I'll have to use it...but that 1% chance of not breathing is not worth risking.