I Feel Selfish What Do I Do

Nauthiz

I hate feeling selfish that i always need someone to be at the house with me when i feel sick. My parents let me live with them since im only 22 and really sick with pots. I woke up this afternoon yes i slept late lol at 3pm. Nobody was here nobody said where they were and i felt particularly crappy. I've just been having pelvic pain, back pain, bladder pain, body pain, feels like breathing problems and brain fog. So i got up and 3 hours later still feel awful havent heard from anyone home alone. So i call my dad and he acts like why am i calling him, i just said do i need to make dinner when are you guys coming home, and he just said you probably will have too. And i just said alright talk to you later then he said bye and hung up. SO i call my girlfriend whos on lunch so i can talk to someone, and she just says me "i don't know what to tell you" and i hope you feel better. I feel like im a big inconvenience to everyone and i just feel terrible physically and mentally about it, does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, I understand how needy we can feel. When healthy people take a day off work or school for the flu, they lie alone at home for a couple days and get better. And then they go back to their normal social activities. There are some days that I'm not able to do much communicating at all, but other days I do my best to let others know I care for them which makes me feel more useful.

Being a girl might make it a little easier for me to complain a bit to my friends or family about my feelings. I have a good friend and a mom who will listen. Still, most of the time it is my job to console myself. Having this illness can be very lonely. Thank goodness for this forum! I try to not let my thoughts slip into a negative spiral by focusing on good things, and knowing that I'm valuable in God's sight.

Still it's hard because often when we tell folks how we're really doing, their reaction is to try to fix things so we can be happy again. But that just isn't our reality. In that sense, it's great to have a community of others who deal with chronic illness for support because they understand.

The truth is they dont know "what to tell us". Thee really is nothing for them to tell us. This has been an awful day for me...so ill...nausiated, diahria.

I am angry with my boyfriend...so I won't call him and tell him how sick I am...but this will pass. I think he needs a break from my illness for a night ... I could use a break from my illness as well :D

Thanks God for my kids...it is soooooooooo hard being a single mom with this illness...but it is the thing that gets me dressed in the morning..and keeps me trying. propeling towards health and hope...

AND thank God we have each other...and peptobismal...so far it is helping some....a little releif....Erika

If it makes you feel any better, I think it is somewhat normal to feel needy and want someone around when you are not feeling good, yet I know it is not always possible. I think this website has been great company for me because it does help to know what we as POTS people often feel is experienced by others and they understand. I don't know if you have any pets, or even like animals, but I have a dog and a cat. The cat in particular has been a comfort for me becaused he likes to lay with me and comes to the bed or couch and just seems to know when I do not feel well. Cats are less care than our dog so that helps that he does not need to be walked. While it may not be realistic to hope for a cure soon it is realistic to hope to have better days so I hope that for you!

Hi,

I feel this way sometimes as well, but you have to remember that anyone affected by this condition is being asked to handle a lot more than they ever thought they would. I am 27 years old, and I can no longer drive, be left alone without someone calling to check on me, care for myself on a daily basis without help, etc. I used to be active, energetic, and a very motivated and ambitious person with a lot of potential. Now, it is a good day if I can leave the house to go sit in the store while my mom does errands. All of our families and friends get over burdened, and they don't know what to say to us. They are scared and confused the same way we are. I have been ill for 7 years, and we are continually facing new challenges, disappointments, and frustrations. Things at the beginning were a lot harder because my family didn't realize that I wasn't exaggerating or at fault for what was happening to me, and none of us could understand how these things were happening to me for no apparent reason. Is there still tension and frustration over the independence and oportunities lost for everyone involved? Yes, and that is to be expected with any chronic illness. Just try to let your family know that you appreciate their time, and when you feel guilty, think about what you would do if the tables were turned. In reverse circumstances, I would care for my mother and give up my "normal" life for her in a heart beat, if I had one. So, feel guilty, feel sad when you need to, but don't forget that everyone is doing their best and have faith that somehow it will be good enough and see you through!

~ Broken_Shell :)