Hubby Was In Hospital-thought I Was Having A "vacation" Cause I Got To Lounge Around So Much!

My husband was in the hospital from Friday afternoon til Monday evening for possible heart problems. (Heart turned out to be fine.) I stayed with him the whole time except for about 3 hours to get a shower. Well he couldn't stand the hospital bed so he slept in a recliner and I slept in the bed. It was undoubtably the most comfortable bed on which I have ever slept. It was filled with air and it pumped up under you to prevent pressure points. I spent almost all of the time I was there lying on that wonderful, sensational, too good to be true bed. I only had to walk about 6 feet to be in the restroom.

So I thought I was on vacation!! I didn't have to try to be well enough to cook, work, clean or do anything but be there for him. I actually felt pretty good even thought I was under so much stress. And I had this fabulous bed!!! Well the day he was released I thought I would die just trying to walk to the van. Apparently I got somewhat deconditioned from just 4 days of inactivity. Up until this period of inactivity I have been trying to be as physically active as possible. I just plain "forgot" that I should have tried to walk up and down the hall at the hospital or around the room or something. Now I feel like I'm starting an intense exercise program just by walking to the kitchen.

I bet I won't go on a "vacation" like that again. How is it that our bodies can be so affected by the simplest things??

And does anybody know where I can get a bed that is filled with air and pumps up and down on it's own to prevent pressure points????

Thanks,

Babette

Yes I order them for our patients from a durable medical equipment store. One of the names is APP mattresss which are air mattress over lays with plastic bubble that inflate to prevent bed sores. I would imagine to have it paid for you would have to have a referral...unless you can pay for it. Our patients rent it and return it after they do not need it any longer.

Jan