For Those Of You With Facial Flushing...

It's hard to apply makeup anyway, because you have to be upright for a period of time to do so! But lately my facial flushing has gotten more prominent. I have had facial burning for over a year which has made it painful to apply makeup anyway. But now the redness and red bumps are so visible, especially if I've undergone any stress, prolonged talking, or heat so summer it rough. Makeup can only do so much, but even washing my face with a washcloth is very painful now. And ANY friction brings out more bumps and redness and perpetuates the whole problem. Stress is definitely the most aggravating factor, but I feel like I can't even touch my head or neck without more burning, redness and red bumps.

I should probably go see a dermatologist, but they are super booked up in my town and it takes minimum 2 months to get seen. Even then, they rush in and out. And I know that I have high norepinephrine/adrenaline levels, which is probably responsible for the flushing. The adrenaline is the only thing that keeps me upright, so even though it's super uncomfortable, it's functional.

So, how do the rest of you POTS patients with flushing deal with applying makeup or facial cleansers?

If you get any responses, let me know! There are special green-based cosmetics (colorwise) that "kill" the redness, but unless you want to put them from scalp to chest, you'll get red-ness. Photoshop helps! In real life, not much helps. I keep getting asked where I got such a sunburn. :lol:

Good luck! Sorry I couldn't help!

I have had facial burning for over a year which has made it painful to apply makeup anyway. But now the redness and red bumps are so visible, ..... And ANY friction brings out more bumps and redness and perpetuates the whole problem.

So, how do the rest of you POTS patients with flushing deal with applying makeup or facial cleansers?

First, what exactly are the red pumps?

My sister that gets the usual flushing also gets redness w/ bumps but it is different than flushing. She uses green tea bags to help clear this up.

Second, I flush a lot and easily. I am very senstive to makeup, soaps and most topicals.

I rarely wear make up, if I do it is only eyeliner and/or lip stuff ... but nothing on my cheeks or lids.

For soap I use Dr Bronners or something with little junk in it.

I also cannot wear jewelry for similar reasons. I cannot even wear my wedding ring.

The red bumps and burning make it sound more like Rosacea than just a facial flush. Typically, plain old facial flushing resolves as soon as your body has finished pumping out the adrenaline. If you have remaining bumps, it's probably a dermatologic condition and should be assessed by a dermatologist to find out what's causing it, and what particular treatment, if any, is useful.

I have not really had any problems with using make up... I have very dry skin, so I mix my foundation 50/50 with my moisturizer. I then use a mousturizing loose powder on top, after I've applied blush and eye shadow, to set everything. Most days, that lasts me a long time for coverage of any major flushing--unless, over course, it's hot out, and then the sweat kicks in and all of that stuff melts off me like I took a shower!

Nina

First, what exactly are the red pumps?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what they are but I would guess they are heat rash. When I flush, my skin gets so warm. My entire head, chest, and most of my arms are affected. They are clustered behind my ears, in my elbow creases, and along my neck, face, and forehead. I've taken benadryl and other antihistamines but they have no effect on these bumps, which burn and itch.

It's documented that high norepinephrine levels cause flushing, and I'm just guessing that the heat which results from flushing is causing this heat rash. If I go for a couple weeks without stress or heat exposure, my skin returns to its blemish-free pale state and isn't so reactive to lotions, makeup or touch.

I flush easily, and my skin is VERY sensitive, especially on my face. I found that I can wear the Bare Minerals makeup without a problem. And, it doesn't run off if I sweat or even sleep in it (I did that accidentally once, took a nap with my makeup on). I wear the foundation powder, blush, eyeshadow, mascara and lip gloss. Well, when I wear makeup that is what I wear. I like it better because it stays on longer that the other "sensitive skin" makeup I used to wear. And it makes me look healthy! I normally look like a ghost. Until I flush. :(

Angela

I flush easily, and my skin is VERY sensitive, especially on my face. I found that I can wear the Bare Minerals makeup without a problem.

That's AWESOME! Thanks for the suggestion!!! I love the look of Bare Minerals on other people. I've never worn it myself. When I have to buy more makeup, I'll have to start getting Bare Minerals.

Thanks, janie

I don't wear make-up anymore. Mostly because of facial sweating, even if I am not flushed I always feel hot and my face sweats like crazy. I find that makup either slides off or goes orange coloured from the sweat (urgh!).

During my TTT in London it was actually noted by the member of staff observing me that my face was sweating a lot!

Flop

That's AWESOME! Thanks for the suggestion!!! I love the look of Bare Minerals on other people. I've never worn it myself. When I have to buy more makeup, I'll have to start getting Bare Minerals.

One thing, it is kind of expensive. It lasts a while though because you don't use a lot and I totally think it is worth it.

Angela

For a cheaper mineral makeup than Bare Minerals, but still good quality, Everyday Minerals is good & they ship internationally.

http://www.everydayminerals.com

I can't wear mineral makeup, my skin's already dry and it just dehydrates it further, but I know a few people who love EM. You used to be able to get free samples if you paid for postage, not sure if that's still the case or not.

I have really sensitive skin and I've found a handy thing for applying liquid foundation very quickly (reducing the time I need to be upright) and without causing extra irritation is the Beauty Blender sponge. Expensive, but for me, worth it. I can't use brushes as the friction irritates my skin too much.

http://www.beautyblender.net/sponge.html

I've heard that the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge is cheaper sponge and similar in concept to the Beauty Blender, but I've never tried it.

http://www.target.com/Sonia-Kashuk-237-Ble...e/dp/B00149XKOY

I have major flushing issues from steroids and what i suspect is roseacea, so I wear everyday minerals makeup. It really helps and doesn't irritate my skin at all. They are very reasonable compared to some of the other mineral make ups and it lasts forever. I tried pur minerals but it sometimes make my skin itch and had a slight odor. Everyday has none of those issues and has a million colors to mix and match to get perfect colors. The brushes they sell are good too. I get scratches from others or rashes and these don't bother me at all! If i try wearing liquid foundation nnow, it is awful - break outs, splotches, dry spots. all fo that is gone with the everyday minerals. The also like to give out freebies and special treats which I like. Example: I ordered a kit with like 12 items, and I got two freebies, free shipping and I've been using it for over a year now! for 60 bucks that is great!