Switching From Proamatine (brand) To Midodrine (generic)...anything To Watch For With This?

Just wondering if there is a high probability of having a bad flare-up/weird symptoms switching from ProAmatine (Brand) to Midodrine (Generic).

I only have a few days of ProAmatine left and insurance will cover only generic. This medicine runs about $450/month generic (my copay is $10) and I cannot afford to pay out of pocket for brand!

The pharmacist assured me it's the same ingredients, but did admit the strength could vary a slight bit. I have the 10mg pills and I take 10mg in the morning and then cut one for 5mg afternoon/evening (so obviously have to try to cut evenly).

If there is the slight variation, will this throw me off long term, or is it something that I'll have to adjust to? I take generic Beta Blocker, generic Mestinon, and generic Zantac OK so I assume overall generics are fine to use.

It's just Midodrine is such a specialized drug, but like I said I have no choice and something is better than nothing because my current mix is working.

:)

My Son #2 takes proamatine nearly the same as you, but when given midodrene he has to double his dosage. He was on a heavy dosage of Midodrene and Dr. Grubbs tried him on Proamatine and he was able to reduce the dosage in half with much better results. (10 to 5) When he can't get proamatine he does use midodrene but just increases the dosage.

DADofPotsSon

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll just have to see how I go and adjust dosage from there. I hate having to mess around with something that's working so I'm quite upset about this.

My mix is pretty decent. I'm feeling a lot better than where I was 6 months ago and don't want to lose that. :lol: I'm so worried about it. I don't want to be back where I was just because I can't get the brand-version covered.

I would have thought that if you had major problems with the generic then your doctor would help you argue that your insurance should cover the brand that was working for you. Hopefully you won't have any problems. In the UK you can't get the ProAmatine brand of Midodrine, the only Midodrine I oculd get was made by Guttron and came from Austria.

Flop

I take generic Midodrine. I have noticed a difference in the generic manufacturers midodrine tablets and how effective they are. Global is the best. Apotex works fairly well. The Mylan one hardly works at all for me. Global no longer makes a 10mg tablet, which is the dose I take, so I always specifically request Apotex.

Hope this helps.

Rachel

I'll have to remember about requesting a specific generic. I did not know you could do that.

I have a 90+ day supply so I have to see what it is, and make do. I guess if I find I have to take more/doesn't agree with me as much/etc. I can request a different generic or call pharmacies to see who stocks what.

Unfortunately, my insurance plan only covers generics period. No matter what. You want Brand, you pay in full. I even requested the policy booklet and it's clear about that. Only generic ON formulary are covered and I had to call in about Midodrine as it's the only drug that really treats OI so they covered it. Apparently it's a rarely prescribed drug?

Glad to know that generic does work (even if dosage needs adjusted) and there are options for a 'good' generic when I run out. I have to find out what brand generic mine is. How do I do that?

If it comes in a box it should say on the box who the manufacturer is. If it is dispensed in a bottle then it may not say on the lable (it will have "Midodrine" as the drug name). The best thing to do is ask the pharmacist when they dispense it what brand they have given you.

Flop

• 2 weeks later...
I take generic Midodrine. I have noticed a difference in the generic manufacturers midodrine tablets and how effective they are. Global is the best. Apotex works fairly well. The Mylan one hardly works at all for me. Global no longer makes a 10mg tablet, which is the dose I take, so I always specifically request Apotex.

Hope this helps.

Rachel

I just looked at my bottles...I have a backlog as I had to get 90-day supplies with my last insurance so I have two Global (says on bottle) and one Apotex (says APO on pill so I'm assuming).

The good thing I probably have enough to last me 6 months and since those are good brands I'm relieved. When I need a reorder do I tell the pharmacy what brand works, or do I call around to find it out?

They are 10mg pills so I assume I got the last of the Global (and I do remember my insurance company taking a while to fill my RX in May). I'll go through these (and they look scored enough to cut, here's hoping!) but the Apotex doesn't look easy to cut.