Good News, For Once!

Hi everyone,

I left my nursing job May 18, 2007, and my long-term disability (LTD) insurer found me eligible to start receiving payments in August, 2007. Initially, I left my job because of a hip injury following a car accident that necessitated surgeries in June of 2007 and January of 2008. I was in constant pain from my hip which caused me to walk using a cane and kind of hunched over until a persistant physical therapist found some techniques that helped finally in September of 2008! Now my hip pain is still always there, but fairly mild unless I overdo things, which I don't do often because of POTS. ;)

I had my first tachy episode and ER visit October of 2006, but was able to work through the fatigue and all. I got progressively more fatigued, however, and began getting the horrible burning neuropathy pain last summer. My hip is improved enough that I feel confident I could find a more sedentary nursing job, but now my POTS prevents me from working entirely! ;)

My LTD policy pays my payment for the first 2 years of disability if I'm unable to return to the same job that I left. After that, they can try to find any job for me to do if they think I'm physically able. Well, my 2 years are nearly up and I knew that they were evaluating me to see what type of work I can do when I received a bunch of paperwork in the mail last month. One of the questions was if I wanted to be evaluated by one of their occupational therapists, and I said I didn't. They listed a bunch of skills (like typing, computers, foreign language, etc.) and I had to honestly state my skill levels for each. I did so, but I also stated that yes, I can do data entry, but only if I'm lying down ;) ! I also included a 1 and 1/2 page Word document titled "A Day in My Life" which details the various struggles I go through to accomplish simple tasks.

My hubby and I have always been aware that, through no fault of our own, these insurance companies can decide that you aren't disabled anymore and can stop payment. So we've cut down our expenses so that we could live solely on his teaching salary if need be. We consider my LTD benefits as "icing on the cake!" We haven't taken vacations, except to go camping :) , rarely buy new clothes or go out to eat, and have become avid coupon-clippers. It's become kind of fun, like a game to see how little we can live on. :(

So I just got a call from my LTD rep who said that my claim has been transferred from her department to the "extended claim" department, meaning that they will continue paying my full benefit past my 2-year mark. They aren't even requiring I see an occupational therapist! They'll just call me once or twice a year to see if there are any changes in my condition. :(:D:D:D:D

I know you guys can relate to how financially stressful disability can be, and I think we might be able to have a little breathing room now. One more smile :D

Although...I have to say...I am so depressed as I reallly don't want to be diabled. I didn't think I would react this way but I am so down...as the reality hits me I am disabled..at least for a whiel...

Hey I totally understand. Hopefully we'll be among the POTS population which sees reduced symptoms over time. That would be great! Or maybe they'll come up with a really effective treatment for us!

I may have shared this before that once in a while, usually following a less-symptomatic day, I'll actually dream about going back to my nursing job. I'll dream about going through orientation again, and I'll wait for my first patient to roll in but they never come. I ask my co-workers why I'm not being given a patient and they say "Well you're just too sick, honey." So I really know that my body can't handle working anymore, I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be the patient assigned to me! I don't think I'll ever be able to give up hoping, though, that I can use my nursing skills someday to help people again.

My life is so different. Instead of caring for post-surgical patients and looking forward to using my brain, I look forward to having enough energy to sweep leaves off of the driveway! It doesn't seem fair. All of my co-workers have moved on with their lives. One thing I'm thankful for, however, is the time to be with my mom who's disabled from cancer. Also, this illness has showed me what is important in life, that is, my relationships.

I hope you can find things to look forward to each day. Take care and thanks for the congratulations, Janie

Congratulations!! I myself am on LTD, waiting to go to court for Federal Disability on June 24th. Now you can relax for awhile again!

Blessings,

Jana

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing what you did. That was very smart of you to send in that page a day in my life. It is so hard to sum up how dibilitating this is by just answering questions. I was actually sent a letter in the mail saying I qualify for disability, but when I called the office to try and set it up they said my husband makes to much money. That was frusterating. I am so happy you can just relax about this. No need to spend your energy on money concerns. B) One more smile for you!

Hugs

Suzy