Sleep Apnea

Hola Everyone~

I'm going in for a sleep study soon, and was wondering what experience others had with this test, and how many of you have sleep apnea. I wake myself and my boyfriend up by my gasping in the middle of the night, and they're pretty sure I have it. Please share your experiences. I'm worried I won't be able to sleep during the test!

Thanks,

Jana

I've got it. DEfinitely get a sleep study. CPAP take some getting used to, but it is very effective. I also recommend searching under apnea. There have been many posts about it, and a number of us have it. It's underdiagnosed in the general population and in women. If you have eds, it's quite common, because of lax tissues, and the high arched palate a lot of edsers have. Untreated apnea is damaging for the healthiest body.

Guest tearose

I've done two studies and they did not find apnea. I have poor sleep due to micro burtst of awakenings. These are not understood as yet but are assumed to be the ANS firing up fast and then resting again. It does leave me with non restorative sleep and the need to take daytime naps.

Yes had one..waiting on another. I do have apnea..snore a little..I mean ONE time and THAT wakes me up. Turns out I have swallowing problems..acid reflux and when I sleep my larynex practically closes..another story.

OK..tried the nose pillow CPAP instead of the mask. If you make the straps really snug..its silent. BUT.. as you move.. the hissing WAKES ME UP!!

I do not get the oh so wonderful feeling in the AM..but then I do not keep the cPAP on all night. Either I pull it off and dont know it..or take it off for WAKING ME UP!!!

ok.. I am still adjusting to all of this...

They think I may have narcolepsy with cataplexy. With that you need to have apnea at night...AND take the daytime sleep study where you nap. I am awating that. One neurologist thinks I have this.. another does not.

All I know is that I am always tired and draggin..

Stay in touch ok?

Jan

Oh forgot to answer you inquiry.

I did not think I could sleep for the sleep study. They made me go early... around 10pm I think..and wake up early 5-6AM. I think I did sleep some..according to them I did. Maybe it was a long nap. Not my normal amt for sure.

You are wired up..EEG stuff on your head and also on your body/legs. They place a pulsox or whatever thats called on your finger. had to sleep on my back and I really cannot. They have an ultra red light on to watch you on their monitors. Dont let that bother you...just go tired ok?

But I think I had my doc give me 1 sleeping pill. Because they found the apnea..( mild I heard) but still...you come BACK and sleep with the CPAP on to measure what number they will set your cpap on. Then a nurse came to the house with the equipment and demonstration.

Good luck

Jan

Ok, now I'm really worried that I won't be able to sleep at all. I have a hard time falling asleep in my own bed, and can't figure out how in the world I'll fall asleep in strange quarters with my body all wired up. I already take something to 'help me sleep', but it really doesn't do much. I'll go in really tired, but unfortunately that doesn't make too much of a difference, since every night I'm so worn out that I turn off my light by 8:15 anyway. I'm just have to try and stay calm.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in such detail. I really appreciate it, and thanks also to tearose and mkoven.

Ciao~

Jana

Ok, now I'm really worried that I won't be able to sleep at all. I have a hard time falling asleep in my own bed, and can't figure out how in the world I'll fall asleep in strange quarters with my body all wired up. I already take something to 'help me sleep', but it really doesn't do much. I'll go in really tired, but unfortunately that doesn't make too much of a difference, since every night I'm so worn out that I turn off my light by 8:15 anyway. I'm just have to try and stay calm.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in such detail. I really appreciate it, and thanks also to tearose and mkoven.

Ciao~

Jana

I thought the same thing. I did take the pill for the 1st study and not for the 2nd. The rooms are usualy very nice with great beds. They make it dark..and you have no choice but to sleep. I didnt think I slept much at all..but the tech said I did. I did not like getting up so early and went home to nap. But go in with a positive attitude..try to RELAX yourself..and you WILL GET THROUGH THIS STUDY !!! Trust me you will.

When are you having this done?

Jan

Jan,

I'm scheduled for the study on June 11th, unless they have a cancellation and can get me in sooner. I hope that happens, I just want to get it over with. Thanks for the encouraging words. I tend to be a little anxious and I also have OCD, which I'm being treated for...thanks again!

Cheers~

Jana