Blood Volume Study

My doctor's prescribed a blood volume study. I've searched for it but not found a real description of the test - and am hoping someone will tell me what I'm in for. I was just told it's an hour long. I have to go to the Nuclear Medicine Dept at the hospital, so I'm guessing it's not your usual blood draw. Thanks!

My doctor's prescribed a blood volume study. I've searched for it but not found a real description of the test - and am hoping someone will tell me what I'm in for. I was just told it's an hour long. I have to go to the Nuclear Medicine Dept at the hospital, so I'm guessing it's not your usual blood draw. Thanks!

I've had it done. All I remember is that they took several vials of blood but I guess it was over a period of time. Sorry, it was several years ago.

"Blood Volume Study

Your physician has requested an examination called a ?Blood Volume Study?. This is a simple way of determining the total volume of your blood using a small amount of radioactivity. You do not need to be fasting for this examination.

The technologist will insert an intravenous tube in your arm. A sample of your blood will be taken and labeled with a small amount of radioactivity. This radioactive blood sample will be re-injected into the intravenous tube. Additional blood samples will be taken at intervals up to 45 minutes later. The technologist will then check your height and weight, completing the test."

I think it correlates with how well your body dilutes the radioactive isotope added to the blood, but I have never had one done.

I'm about to have the same test at Cleveland Clinic; this is an excerpt from the pamphlet they gave me regarding the test.

"During the Test

IV Placement: An IV (intravenous) line will be placed in a vein in your arm. The IV is used to take blood samples for blood tests ordered by your doctor, and to inject the radioactive isotope and tagging agent. If necessary, medications are delivered through the IV during the test.

Blood Volume Analysis, Blood Tests: During the blood volume analysis portion of the test, a small amount of a radioactive isotope, or tracer called iodinated-RISA, is injected. If you are allergic to iodine, IVP dye, shellfish or eggs, the test will be modified to minimize any potential risk of an allergic reaction. Blood samples are then taken and analyzed. The blood volume test is used to evaluate if the amount of blood in your body is appropriate for your gender, height and weight.

A hematocrit measurement is also taken. This blood test calculates the percentage of red blood cells in the bloodstream. A low hematocrit reading may indicate the presence of anemia.

Other blood samples may be ordered to determine the level of certain blood pressure-regulating hormones produced by your kidneys and adrenal glands or to test for electrolytes in the blood, such as sodium and potassium.

Will I be awake during the test?

Yes. You will be awake during the test. You will lie on your back on an exam table for the entire test. Minimal movement is allowed during the test, except for sitting up, to allow accurate recording of the test results. We will try to make you as comfortable as possible during the test.

How will I feel during the test?

Throughout the test, the nurse or technician will ask how you feel. You may not have any symptoms, or you may experience pre-syncope symptoms (called premonitory symptoms), such as light-headedness, nausea and palpitations (fluttering in the chest).

It is important to tell the staff how you are feeling throughout the test. Adjustments can be made between sets of images if necessary to make you more comfortable."

Thanks for all the info everyone - this is extremely helpful. It's nice that CC gives you a pamphlet... I'm just going to my local hospital, so they're not as organized I suppose.

Heiferly - good luck with this and all the tests you're having at CC!

Good luck with this test. I was just wondering what was the reason that the doc ordered it as we all have low blood volume? Were you having specific symptoms that made your doc order this test? ;) I'm just always searching for a reason why it's so much harder to breathe these days. Thanks

BellaMia~

Hi!

I had the blood volume study done at CC earlier this year. It is not a bad test, as far as how you feel during and what it requires you to do. You just have to lay VERY STILL for over an hour, which is the hardest part. It hurt my back. Also, after so many rapid injections that day the vein in my arm got very painful. But, it helped a lot when they applied pressure to the vein when the were doing the injections.

Bellamia,

I just wanted to say that not ALL of us have low blood volume. Actually, quite fewer than you would think may actually have low blood volume. I DO NOT have low BV, but I have a TON of blood pooling that makes my current BV not sufficient enough for me. So, they still say to TRY and increase blood or fluid volume to help compensate for the excessive amounts of blood pooling that many of us endure. I pool a lot in any position, standing, sitting, lying down, whatever...

Hope that helps and that anyone doing the test will find some answers from the test!

;)

Bella,

Not all Patients have low blood volume. There are many reasons why a person can have POTS or other forms of Dysautonomia and many have nothing to do with low blood volume.

The only way to know for sure is to have a blood volume study but even that is not "fool proof" because your blood volume can change over time; still the test can sometimes provide valuable information to the patient.

Different facilities do the test differently so it's best to contact the hospital you are having the test done at to inquire what their process is and what tracer they use.

Bella,

Not all Patients have low blood volume. There are many reasons why a person can have POTS or other forms of Dysautonomia and many have nothing to do with low blood volume.

The only way to know for sure is to have a blood volume study but even that is not "fool proof" because your blood volume can change over time; still the test can sometimes provide valuable information to the patient.

Different facilities do the test differently so it's best to contact the hospital you are having the test done at to inquire what their process is and what tracer they use.

poohbear,

help me understand, so is the red areas of your body where the blood is pooling? thanks for your help!

BellaMia~

BellaMia,

it is difficult to know if/where we pool blood. There isn't an easy way to say "if you get .... then you are pooling there". This type of blood volume test with radioactive tracer might be able to give the doctors that information.

They used to think that the mottled blueish-purple discolouration of the legs (acrocyanosis) was due to blood pooling. Now some doctors think that it is due to lack of blood flow to the skin rather than pooling. Basically, no-one knows for sure!

Flop

BellaMia,

it is difficult to know if/where we pool blood. There isn't an easy way to say "if you get .... then you are pooling there". This type of blood volume test with radioactive tracer might be able to give the doctors that information.

They used to think that the mottled blueish-purple discolouration of the legs (acrocyanosis) was due to blood pooling. Now some doctors think that it is due to lack of blood flow to the skin rather than pooling. Basically, no-one knows for sure!

Flop

thanks flop

i believe my dr notes that i get a lot of red mottled skin, so i just assumed that was the pooling areas. i just thought i had rashes at first., as I'm always itchy too. we are very interesting poty people! :)

BellaMia~