Acid Reflux / Choking And Midodrine

Guest brianala

Guest brianala

Last Friday night I woke up choking due to regurgitation from acid reflux. I could not breathe for around a minute, and I honestly thought I was going to die. It was the single scariest thing I think I've ever experienced.

Over the weekend I have also had problems with acid reflux.

The only thing that has changed recently is that my doctor doubled my dose of Midodrine from 2.5 mg to 5 mg.

Is acid reflux a known side effect of Midodrine? It seems to be a common problem among those of us here, but prior to this I had only occasional issues with heartburn or reflux.

I have pretty bad reflux, but didn't notice it being worse when I was on midodrine last year. I used to wake occasionally, choking and unable to breathe. It is extremely startling! Since I raised the head of my bed a few inches, my nightly reflux symptoms are much better and I don't wake with the choking anymore.

Guest brianala
Midodrine has very few side effects, and it shouldn't cause acid reflux.

Did you change your diet at all over the weekend? Certain foods, large meals, or eating right before bed can make acid reflux worse.

Hope it goes away for you.

Rachel

Thanks, I couldn't find any information about this as a side effect so I wasn't sure.

To the best of my knowledge my diet hasn't changed radically, and I tend to eat my last meal pretty early in the evening so I don't think it's that. I'll give it a bit longer and if it persists I'll check with my doctor.

Guest brianala
I have pretty bad reflux, but didn't notice it being worse when I was on midodrine last year. I used to wake occasionally, choking and unable to breathe. It is extremely startling! Since I raised the head of my bed a few inches, my nightly reflux symptoms are much better and I don't wake with the choking anymore.

It's incredibly scary! Thanks, I'll try raising my bed up and see if that helps!

This happened to me last week. I was sure I had pancreatitis. My husband a doc said that when you wake up in the middle of the night like that its usually an ulcer. Since I knew they would admit me if I went to ER he brought me some stuff for ulcer and it works. It still bothers me occasionally. A thought. Miriam