Reduced Body Mass Index In Young Females

Part of the problem, and I do not know if it was addressed in the article, is the measurement of BMI in general. My BMI is within normal range and always has been, however, my muscle mass changed dramatically. BMI is not accurate for those who are not sedentary, since it relies on height and weight measurements and muscle weighs more than fat. Many of the women here were VERY active before their POTS crashes and could have lost weight, and thus BMI, due to loss of muscle tone alone. I think for many, there is a "body type" that is common, but from some of the polls a while back, "body type" is not an accurate predictor.

Dr. Stewart is also excluding a great number of patients by cutting off his subjects at age 29. I was symptomatic, but dealt with it as "normal" until into my 30s. I would be very interested in him doing a 10 year follow up study to see how the dysautonomia he saw in patients 10 years ago has progressed using his own criteria. Age alone will change a body (remember when you could eat anything in your teens and not get fat?) and women subject their bodies to certain natural traumas (childbirth) that are known to trigger POTS and many other changes (like hypothyroidism, etc.)