Beta Blockers And Acne

Amber

I am just wondering if anyone has noticed a correlation between using BBs and acne. I started Metoprolol this time last year and within a month or 2 developed a strange kind of acne similar to the cystic type. They are painful and deep and last a long time. The dermatologist says its probably the result of excess androgens and put me on Yasmin (birth control) to regulate my hormones but its been 5 months with no improvement. I really wonder if it isnt the result of the medication either directly causing the acne or throwing my hormones out of whack. I am also experiencing some weight gain, facial peach fuzz and other PMS type hormonal symptoms. Veru frustrating to look have acne when I'm in my 30's!

thanks for the reply Dani. I bet you were thrilled when your skin cleared up! I was really hoping yasmin might be the answer but no luck so far. I'm thinking of seeing an endocronologist just to find out if the birth control pill is doing enough to regulate my hormones or if its just a waste of time. It seems like it should have been the first step to have my levels checked when my body went haywire and the hormonal symptoms started but my doc just suggested Yasmin and that was that. I feel like every time I see my doc I'm telling him what tests I need and what type of doc I need to see and why....Isn't that supposed to be his job? I don't think he appreciates it but if I left it up to him nothing would get done. Lol! I think deep down he thinks I'm a hypochondriac, even though I have a laundry list of legit medical conditions.