Bruising After Hives

Since starting the MCAD medicine regimen: Allegra, Zantac and Singulair, I have been able to tolerate allergy shots without big reactions.(Yippee, one vial closer to a new puppy!) BUT, I have noticed bruising where I get the injection (this is new) and last night I could not resist testing the shots with several cute puppies at the park. Well, that ended with armloads of hives...and now armloads of tiny bruises where the hives were. This is a new thing for me. Is this typical of ANYTHING?

Since starting the MCAD medicine regimen: Allegra, Zantac and Singulair, I have been able to tolerate allergy shots without big reactions.(Yippee, one vial closer to a new puppy!) BUT, I have noticed bruising where I get the injection (this is new) and last night I could not resist testing the shots with several cute puppies at the park. Well, that ended with armloads of hives...and now armloads of tiny bruises where the hives were. This is a new thing for me. Is this typical of ANYTHING?

Obviously, you're allergic to dogs. But keep in mind, they may have washed the pups in doggy shampoo, or sprayed some "smell good" stuff on them to take away their doggie odor.

Also, I was on shots for 7 years before I "lost" my allergy to dog. I found that out via retesting. When my allergist makes the serum, he knew to concentrate on raising my threshold for dog/cat because I have animals living in my house. As the years went on, each new vile may have had more and more cat/dog in them? I don't know for sure.

To get a bruise at the injection site is nothing new for me. Sometimes I bruise more than others, depending where she gave me the shot, and probably how sharp the needle was.

As for bruising with hives, maybe that shows that your capillaries (teeny blood vessels) were reacting to the allergen by leaking? The leaking blood caused the bruising?!

If that's the case, and I'm just guessing here, imagine what the rest of your body must be doing when under a large allergic load? It makes you wonder if your allergies can be contributing to POTS symptoms. I'm just guessing. What do you think?

Obviously, you're allergic to dogs.

Oh YES! Didn't used to be, but am now!

As for bruising with hives, maybe that shows that your capillaries (teeny blood vessels) were reacting to the allergen by leaking? The leaking blood caused the bruising?!

If that's the case, and I'm just guessing here, imagine what the rest of your body must be doing when under a large allergic load? It makes you wonder if your allergies can be contributing to POTS symptoms. I'm just guessing. What do you think?

No kidding, just wondered if anyone else does this? And is it a histamine thing?

Obviously, you're allergic to dogs.

Oh YES! Didn't used to be, but am now!

No kidding, just wondered if anyone else does this? And is it a histamine thing?

When I had IV contrast dye, and whatever they gave me to pretreat me for a reaction, I had blistering hives at the injection site, plus a huge bruise. Now I will normally bruise if I have my blood drawn, and it blows a vein, but this was much worse and covered a much larger area. My skin also peeled after the blisters went away. But I have also noticed when I have random h ives that I get purpilish skin where they were. I always just think it is because I have scratched to hard there, but I don't know. It looks like my skin is made of paper, and the blood just kind of all comes up to the surface in little dots. I don't get this all the time though, just after a real bad case of hives.

Sorry for what you are going through with this....no puppys! :lol: That makes me so sad for you!!! I sure hope you can have itchy free puppy days soon!!

Take care,

Suzy

I get hives on my bruises, and bruises on my hives, more commonly the first thing though. It is quite odd, but my doctors dont know why...they are testing me for hormone secreting tumors that could be causing it. I will let you know if they find anything, as that could maybe be causing it for you too...?

Good luck!

Hey Jennifer,

I think Futurehope may be on to something here:

"As for bruising with hives, maybe that shows that your capillaries (teeny blood vessels) were reacting to the allergen by leaking? The leaking blood caused the bruising?! If that's the case, and I'm just guessing here, imagine what the rest of your body must be doing when under a large allergic load? It makes you wonder if your allergies can be contributing to POTS symptoms."

Not trying to scare you- I haven't even bothered to formally look into this myself- but check into a rare persistant skin condition called: telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans or TMEP. From what I have been able to figure out, patients have permanent reddish brown spots characterized by telangiectasias. Telangiectasia is the term used to describe the permanent dilation of small blood vessels, creating small, red or blue markings on the skin. Some patients describe the spots as hives that are raised and itch or burn. Others simply have permanent reddish brown spots that don't react to itching, etc.

The pictures that I've googled on the web vary so much. Sometimes TMEP looks just like urticaria pigmentosa, sometimes quite different. Patients that I've met through my Masto group describe TMEP as permanent hives with bruising or reddish blue lines. Sounds pretty, huh?

I've got telangiectasias on my face, torso, legs, etc. But, only the ones on my thighs have those permanent spots connecting them. One of these days, I'll show them to my allergist or most likely my dermo. Either should be able to DX.

I can't help but note we both (may) have MCAD and connective tissue issues- can't help but think these lovely bruisey-hives are a part of all of that.

Looking pretty over here :(

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I see both an allergist and dermatologist. The dermatologist has pooh-poohed me about all my tiny red spots and new freckles (in patches, not all over) but the allergist is taking note. Sometimes I'll get the tiny capillaries spidering from spot to spot.

I have felt better on the MCAD meds, but have had no testing as yet. The medical wheels grind slowly and that whole "no acute distress" thing on my chart always slows them further. I guess I wait, I'm tired of doctors anyway... :(

Looking spotty over here

Jennifer