Back On The Vivelle-dot

Rene S.

Hi. I had my consultation with the endo last night. Very nice man. Spent 2 hours with me! And no blood work! We had a very long discussion and he feels that my adrenals are shot but he feels it all began when I was taken off my hormone patch. He says my body is craving estrogen and it has put me in a tailspin. He wasn't worried about the Aldosterone/renin levels because he said they are supposed to be taken laying down and I was sitting. Also my potassium was fine. He thinks that all of my autonomic nervous system is so messed up that I'm running on pure adrenaline. Yes, that's what it feels like to me. He thought the estrogen would calm me down and also suggested that with all the stress I've been through the last couple of years that I'm suffering with major anxiety. He would like to see me on an A/D but I have such a hard time with them.

So, here's my question - why is it that even though I applied the patch last night around 8 I feel so lousy? How long does it take to get into your system? I didn't have any affects the last time 5 years ago but then again I wasn't plagued with the dysautonomia.

Any insight on the estrogen would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to hear from those who are on the Vivelle Dot or any other estrogen therapy.

Thanks!

Rene

Hi,

I don't have any specific experience, but I would say that it sounds like something that is going to take quite a while. I could see it taking months for your body to repair everything that had been done. It also seems like the type of thing where you may feel worse before you feel better. It will not be an instant thing, you will have to be patient. If you have specific questions on timeline etc. you should ask your dr.

:P

the patch could be too strong for you.

I used low oral estrogen years ago (even tho still had periods) as my symptoms said estrogen fluctuated all over. I took low dose estradiol and put it under my tongue to absorb better.

I tried the patches but they were too strong.

If it does not help. maybe your body doesn't want the estrogen supplementation. Just do what you are comfortable with doing.

Gotta be careful with HRT.

Also why did he NOT do bloodwork? My endocrinologist always checked my levels...all of them..and what's normal for lab may not be for our body..we may need more or LESS.

But to take hormones without blood work would not be my personal choice.

I agree blood work does not tell the WHOLE STORY but just curious...then again, I know I would try anything temporarily for relief!!

sorry if not making sense...it's late and I am tired.

good luck, but honestly, adding estrogen should be noticed relatively soon! IF that's what you need.

Hi Sophia,

Yes, the man who I thought was wonderful I now have doubts about. No blood work, and I talked to him last night because I thought that I might have an adrenal tumor (pheochromcytoma) because all of my symptoms match. he wouldn't hear of it. And I'm now leary of yet another dr. And when I questioned him about repeating the aldosterone and renin he kept saying that I had to stop dwelling on it and that I have an underlying anxiety order that needs addressing. So, I'm back to being discouraged once again.

I don't even know if it was right to start back on the patch. Grrrr. I wish there were more female drs dealing with all of our issue. I think they'd get it! Oh I'm on the lowest dose of the patch. That was given to me by my gyno.

Rene

Thanks, yes I called my gyno's office and the nurse said the same thing. But I'm still not sure if the estrogen is the way to go.

Almost anything we try will take weeks.not overnight. We are replintishing our supply of estrogine or whatever it doesn't happen immediately. I had to use the dots a ring and cream until I had replentished. M

Thank you , Miriam. I'll let you know what happens.

Rene

Hi Ruekat,

What dose of the patch are you on? I have been on Vivelle Dot for about 6 years now, and have tried to coem off of it several times, only to experience an increase in autonomic symptoms and fatigue. It only takes just over 24 hours for the blood levels to become steady once you put the patch on, but it can take several weeks for your body to "calm down." When I was off of the patch and went back on, I usually started to feel better after about 3-5 days, but it took me several weeks to really feel like my body could get itself back under better control. How are you feeling now after several days? I hope that my experiences help give you some insight. By the way, I was put on the patch at age 21 because I stopped getting periods, had constant low blood levels of estrogen (less than 20), and was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Good luck and keep us up to date. Keep in mind too that if Vivelle doesn't work, there are other options out there.

P.S. Did your doctor put you on any type of progesterone regimen to go with the estrogen?

~ Broken_Shell :)