For Morgan

Guest elyag

Morgan,

You seem really knowledgable about IC.

Re: the topic of bladder problems if I'm still having discomfort after having blood in my urine a few weeks ago do you think I should demand to see a urologist?

I called my HMO today and they are willing to do another UA but unless they find more blood they will not refer me to a urologist.

The Dr I spoke with today said it's really"common" to have bladder discomfort and that I don't need to see a urologist.. Funny, I don't know too many people who have this problem other than the few who posted here. Especially since I don't have an infection.

I'm wondering if I need that cystescope(sp)?

Thanks,

GayleP

gayle, i know a ton about ic. it is never normal to have blood in your urine, especially if you are not on your cycle, and they don't see an infection on a dip stick, which by the way, if they don't , it should be sent to a lab for a culture. if two weeks out you are having any symptoms, like frequency, lower abd pain, irritation in the vaginal area, peeing small amounts, but feeling like you have not emptied your bladder, or any other symptom, you should see a urologist. hmo's are so notorious for not wanting to refer people. if you have a gynecologist, there are usually certain times during the day you can just go in and leave a sample. they will tell you if there is blood in your urine. then you have documentation from someone besides your hmo, who is being less than cooperative. we just had people wait while we dipped it, so you found out right away. a urologist can tell you if the blood is coming from irritation in your bladder. if you are having hematuria and it's not from that, you need to find out where it is coming from. like i said, i've had ic for 20 years, ,i see a urologist every few years just to make sure the blood is still from ic and not something else going on. i have NEVER actually seen my pee bloody, it's always on a dip or microscopic, so don't assume if you can't see it, it's not there. when mine was first discovered in a routine lab, i had a cystoscopy, and also ct of my kidneys to make sure they were not having problems. my kidneys are okay, but my bladder is not. and it would be nice to try and prevent further damage now as opposed to waiting until you are miserable all the time. so, in a word yes, if you still have blood in your urine you need to see a urologist. hope that helps, and good luck!!! morgan p.s. that is crap that it's normal to have bladder pain or problems, don't let them get away with that. sorry, but that just fries me! :lol:

I agree w/everything Morgan just wrote.

The doctor may have been right when he said that bladder discomfort was common, but it ISN"T right to ignore it! You absolutely must find out whether you're dealing with an infection (so easily cured with antibiotics) and if not, why there is blood in your urine.

We know bladder stuff, urinary discomfort etc is common b/c there are a ton of different OTC products available to treat it... Uristat is the name of the one I couldn't think of yesterday; AZO is one I took a few weeks ago. Why be in pain when you don't have to be? This stuff WORKS--after one dose or two--to end the burning, the full feeling, the urgency, the stinging, the spasms. (It doesn't do anything for stopping the bleeding, tho!) BTW, it doesn't interfere with the test they do to check for bacterial infection; I had taken it in advance of going in for my test for a bladder infection, and no harm done. (I confirmed that with the nurse, telling them I had taken AZO the night before and again in the morning. No problem.)

(For anyone wondering, this isn't pots related--it's just part of the loveliness that comes with being female!)

Merrill and Morgan,

Thanks so much for your responses. I am going to do another UA first thing in the morning but even if there is no blood I think I'm going to demand ( nicely) that I see a urologist. Otherwise I'm going to be worrying about why I'm having this problem.

Merrill, I tried something over the counter a while ago and felt a little spacey from it. Which isn't surprising because everything makes me spacey.

I have been taking cranberry extract pills but I don't know how helpful they are unless you have an actual infection. It basically does the same thing as cranberry juice.

Thanks again,

Gayle

Oh, one other thing. I had an ultra sound of my bladder and kidneys and an X ray of my bladder a few weeks ago and both were normal. But from what I understand a cystescope is the only way to really know what's going on with the bladder.

GayleP

gayle,you are correct, an ultrasound will not show ic. and cranberry pills and juice do help neutalize the acidity of urine to help decrease burning. the only way to see the lining and check for ic is cysto. but the renal u/s is good, showing no major abnormalities. it would appear to point more towards your bladder. sorry about my spelling and stuff, major visual problems tonight. good luck and be firm on this! morgan

Merrill,

A few weeks ago when I just had blood and no infection I started on Ceftin, took 2 doses and then they told me to stop becasue it wasn't an infection.

I probably should have just finished the 3 day course in case I actually had an infection that was not detected.

Anyhow thanks. This time I'm taking the antibiotic for as long as needed.

Gayle