Test For Fatigue And Pem In Cfs/me

Dizzysillyak

http://aboutmecfs.org/News/PRJan09Pacific.aspx

I can't remember where I first heard of this test but I didn't see it here today. Sorry if it's been mentioned already though ...

FWIW. I failed this test the first time I tried it back in 1992. All of my muscles went into spasm within 30 seconds of starting the test and I was completely wiinded. I haven't had this test since then, but recently while riding a recumbent bike in PT for OI, I noticed that if I tried to peddle at a "normal" rate I got stabbing pains in my muscles and I got fuzzy headed within 2 minutes. HOWEVER, if I peddled very slowly, I lasted for 7 - 10 minutes. I'm not sure how long I could've lasted at a slow pace though since my PT always stopped me at 10 minutes.

Have any of you had this test ? Can you relate to the "slow is better" technique for excercising ? My PT told me I did this because that was how long it took my blood to get the nutrients back into my muscles.

Earth Mother,

From what I remember we have food intolerances in common too ... hmmm ...

PEM = post exertional malaise ... it's a term used to describe the fatigue a person with CFS gets after activity. It generally lasts for a few days but for some it's longer. This can happen immediately but usually within 24 - 36 hours afterwards. My PEM always come on about 28 hours afterwards and it lasts for 2 - 3 days. And I get it from running errands or doing housework so my activities are limited. I didn't know what this was until I stopped feeling like crap all the time and started feeling healthy at rest most of the time.

A freind of mine has an explaination for this that she derived from reading articles by Dr. Cheney and Dr. Pall ... it has to with our body's detox cylce not working while we are active. I'll look for it .. but it's something about superoxide turning into peryoxide when we are manufacturing and using our ATPs.

I'm heading to the grocery store and HFS now ...

ok..all these new acronyms are REALLY throwing me.

I am WELL familiar with PEM (??)Post exertional malaise reada about in CFIDS Chronicle years ago

..been HUGE issue for years (CFS was my "first" dx in '85) So I have to be careful how to push myself....but never exercising is not good for my bones..and as Dr. Grubb says keeps me from being totally horizontal.

But the post flu symptoms from over doing physical stuff and or low BP is a problem.

What is HFS??

Sorry but suddenly folks are using new abbreviations and I am ignorant of them. :) Or I am a dunce...I have never seen so many acronyms except in ANS articles but some new ones here are challenging my brainfog.

:)

LOL ... laugh out loud ... :) Don't feel bad ... These throw me too ... HFS is health food store ...

I don't feel fluish anymore ever ... KOW (knock on wood)... When I have PEM, I just have no ambition for anything other than laying on the sofa and zoning out in front of the tv. I usually take a few naps on those days too. Otherwise, on my good days, I'm cooking or cleaning or running errands ...

I usually plan my errands for 3 - 4 days apart that way I know I'll be up for it ..

I can push myself when I'm tired or have PEM though as long as I lay down flat every few hours now .. but I don't feel good while doing this. I feel jittery and have a tough time thinking.